Ways to make a crank shaft

Pretty neat set of engines he has built. On a bit of a larger scale (I think my flywheel will be about 10" in diameter), I could probably do that with some sort of trammel set up on a mill. I don't have a mill yet, but it is in my plans to get one when the happy coincidence occurs when I have the money and the right one is available. Thanks for the tips and the seed for ideas.

Last edited:
No Mill presents a problem but it can be overcome. First make the hub then the spokes. Thread the spokes to fit mating holes in the hub. Put a threaded hole in the other end of the spokes also. Now make the wheel and drill and counterbore the OD for cap screws the size of the thread in the spokes. Just assemble all this and presto, a flywheel emerges.

"Billy G" :))

Last edited by a moderator:
That is genius!:thumbsup: I didn't think of doing it that way. I have been looking at a lot of pictures of old steam engines and most don't have curved spokes in their flywheels, and they look pretty good. That would be a lot easier, using your method, than trying to make curved spokes without a mill. Another question, after the spokes are in the hub, should I turn the outer ends of the assembled hub and spokes to be concentric with the rim, with a very close fit?

Last edited:
How you do that fit up is your choice. If I was doing it, yes I would turn them to fit the ID of the wheel.

"Billy G"

Back