• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • How to Donate to Support the Forum and Upgrade Your Account

To upgrade your account, click on your name/User ID, and your profile box comes up. On the right side (highlighted above) you will see "Account Upgrades" Click on this, and you will see your upgrade choices:

* Premium Membership - recurring (12 months, recurring) $25.00 per year This is for one-year premium membership, automatically renews. Less ads, more access.

*Premium Membership - non-recurring (12 months, non-recurring) $30.00 for 1 year This is for one-year premium membership, does NOT automatically renew. Less ads, more access.

* Sustaining Membership - recurring (12 months, recurring) $50.00 per year This is for one-year sustaining membership, automatically renews each year. No ads.

* Sustaining Membership - non-recurring (12 months, non-recurring) $50.00 for 1 year This is for one-year sustaining membership, does not automatically renew each year. No ads.

[4]

WBL290F Lathe Feed Rod Thumping Noise

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

gman10259

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I have a 11" x 29 " Weiss WBL290F Lathe that I purchased last month. There is a thumbing sound and you can feel the feed rod pulse. This happens with feed rod engaged at the quick change gear box and the carriage/ cross slide power feeds are not engaged. It is most noticeable with the carriage 10 inches or closer to the head stock. This thumping sound with feed rod occurs in either feed rod direction and either spindle direction forward of reverse. I can feel the feed rod pulsing at the end of the base. This goes away when I engage either the the carriage or cross slide power feeds. I'm thinking I have a slightly bent feed rod, but not sure if that is it. Any suggestions of cause?

Attachments

Doubleeboy

Active User
I think you are right , its a bent feed rod. I would remove it and check it against a flat surface. Maybe first talk to vendor you bought from and see what they say, but things that go thump every revolution are not good for general health of machine.

Silverbullet

Could be the key slots got burrs or width problem. I'd say call the dealer , you can measure to Ck the shafts straight and the slot measurements. Without worry of warranty , but if you take it apart they may not help at all.

MSD0

Sounds like it’s bent from your description. Is there anyway it could of gotten bent by a strap when it was lifted onto the stand?

[6]
[5] [7]