WCMT vs WCMX

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
I have to say, I have come a long way in identifying carbide inserts and cross referencing ISO against ANSI. That being said, the charts are blank on certain codes. WCMT versus WCMX is one that has caused me headaches in the past and it is time for it to do it again. On the 4 or 5 charts I have, "X" is blank...doesn't explain what it's parameter is for hole type. Now I could look at the picture and MOST likely figure it out, but for such a detailed system, it's weird it's blank. No?
"With dimensions or details requiring detailed explanation, a sketch or additional specifications." (?) No one supplies that info on Ebay. Just curious guys. Seems kind of shot in the dark in an industry where there are no loose areas.

It seems only common with offshore/China inserts, as I have not seen it otherwise. If you look at the Shar's listing they use the two interchangeably. It may not follow a particular standard or may be just not characterized, or just specific to a particular cutter.

I just bought an 8 pack from Sandvik, they use the "X" designation as well. There were other high end brands as well, just strange but it seems that is an open anomaly that is put there for manufacturers to have some free styling...but why i the hole design? I don't know. Anyway, hopefully they work as they are a different code than what the tool holder came with because of the "X", but it does have the same one side countersink hole.

I've been learning insert labeling as well. I saw somewhere that "X" as the fourth character means manufacturer specific / custom.

Yeah, and when they put that, it would be helpful for us newbs to understand what that is. Really does make it challenging to understand a fairly complex system when their are variables like that. Like I said, I did purchase as all the other dimensions were correct. The X pertains to hole design and it appeared (picture) to be countersunk one side as I need. I looked at Sandviks website since that is who's they are, didn't really get an solution there.

Back