We bought a house, I have shop space.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
My wife and I lost our home my shop and all our possessions in the fires of California in November.
You may of heard of the critical housing shortage due to all the displaced families.
I am here to tell you, it's a tight and fierce bidding market.
We found a home and we close escrow in a week.
Going from a rural setting with plenty of nature and space around us to an apartment in a concrete city environment has been a shock to say the least.
I wake up here on a Sunday morning, no birds singing, just the cars on the busy road.
No shop to retire to, no reason to get up.
I feel like a caged animal. The only thing keeping me going has been my wonderful wife of 35 years and reacquiring tools, tooling and machinery.
The garage is all mine in the new house, it's a 20 year old home in a good neighborhood with a swimming pool.
It will be a world apart from where we reside now.
I can't wait. Easiest move I ever made.
The Hobby Machinist forum, has been and continues to be my outlet.
Thank you for all the kind words, it has meant a lot to me.

Don't forget to share pictures of your new shop space as you get settled in! Really happy to hear things are going back to normal for you and your wife.

That is great news! Congrats.

I'm going to have a blast setting up the shop.
I need to run a 50 amp 220 service so I can power the rotary phase converter. Needs shelving, custom work bench incorporating my tool box below.
Insulation and a mini-split will be added also.

Ill take pics along the way.

Last edited:
I have been following your journey through this trying time and I am happy to hear of your success in acquiring a new spot. Congratulations!! Looking forward to seeing your new shop.

Show us some "before" photos, Jeff, so we can confuse you even more with our wild ideas for it... ;) Outside wall pics, too...
We love spending other people's money!

OK,
Here are two pics to get you started. The insulation goes in before any work begins.
These are from the MLS online. It will be empty when I begin.
The work bench will go under the window above my tool box. That wall will also have shelving/cabinetry-custom built by yours truly. 1" square tubing, plywood and my horizontal band saw and my Miller MIG. I find it much easier, cleaner than 2x4's
The Clausing-Colchester 15, will be facing inward in front of the garage door on the left side. The B&S 618 Micromaster and other buffing/grinding machines are on the right in front of the roll up as well. The Mills and shaper will be on the opposite side of the window. Welding table and welders will be in the center with overhead storage.
More storage on the back wall opposite the roll up. It all works on my to scale grid map, we will see how it all fits
No cars of course.

The front of the house is North.
Backyard gets the southern exposure. That's a good thing in the summer.

Back