Web site alarm

M

"Mike"

Forum Guest
Register Today
Just curious. While researching the history and serial numbers and thing out in cyberspace, my browser kept warning me that a site called practicalmachinest.com could damage my computer. I've seen these crappy warnings before and they sometimes are nothing and sometimes they are. Anybody know anything about this site? They seemed to have some info that I might want to look into about my lathe but if it's a virus site, no thanks. Just curious, like I said.

Mike,

I'm not sure why that would happen. It is a commercial site. They have a lot of paid advertising. I think a lot of user information is being collected by advertisers when you log onto the site, and that may have something to do with it, I'm not really sure.

Maybe someone else has some idea.

Best,

Nelson

Actually, it might have come through Google. I know I've had problems with them at times with their antics. When I was deigning web sites (yeah, I did that for a while too), I would submit them to Google to try to get them up in the rankings and they were kind of jerks. Maybe it's their way of "Steering".

Yesterday I was looking, on line, for some machine tool dimensional information. I had used the Google search engine and (3), yes three separate sites tried to infect my computer.
The first two caused one of those "infected" notices to pop up followed by a demand to use a button, in the pop-up, that would then "clean" the computer. Bull Spit! No matter what the window won't close. Task Manager came to the rescue...Shut Down Fire Fox both times.
On the third occasion, at another "Googled" site my McAfee security software warned of a "Trojan" trying to download as another lock-up occurred. Used Task Manager to close FireFox again. I then opted McAfee to run a complete scan resulting in getting rid of the crap some low life created.
If I had my way, those that create that garbage would be hunted down with a packing house meat grinder in tow.

I agree with Amigo these people have no sense of decency.

Ray

I have commercial grade anti virus and even IT doesn't catch it sometimes. I use Malware Bytes also when the computer crap starts up with those "you are infected" things start happening. Malware seems to be faster in keeping up with the computer warning type viruses and malware.

Back