Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

Crank,
Fortunately I have not stripped the paint off. Everything sort of got put on hold once the cold weather hit and now I am pretty much stuck with the lathe torn down as much as possible waiting for warm enough weather to pull it outside and power wash it, then sand, some bondo, sand again, then over-paint. All of this is in the corner of my garage, so I am pretty constrained on when I can make progress.

Flyokc,
Since parts are non-existent you might want to consider just adding a VFD and using those controls instead...plus you then get the added capability of the VFD.

All,
Does ANYBODY have even a picture of a follow rest for these Takisawas? Supposedly they did make one. I'm interested in making one at some point and a picture sure would be nice.

Thanks!
JJ

Are you referring to a steady rest, if so yes I have one. I can take a picture & give you the measurements. My problem is
once Photobucket started charging I stopped using them I do not know how to post pictures other than I did with Photobucket.

Fly

No, I've got a steady rest...I'm looking for a follow rest that would attach to the carriage.

Another TSL-800 owner here, the Yuasa version with a camlock chuck nose- bought at auction for a bit too much, but it's what I wanted.

Currently having a 102 tooth change gear made and contemplating having the ways reground. It's a long project...:)

Follow rests are indeed hard to find, along with taper attachments.

Hi All,

I just bought a TSL-800 - the Yuasa variant, still need to get it home actually. It looks to be in pretty good shape. I got 6 loose change gears along with whatever is on the lathe. Perhaps someone could shed some light on the tooth count as it seems different from the non-Yuasa variant. It came with a cam-lock nose, 3-jaw, face plate, collet closer, tool post - no holders, steady rest, lube pump, and documentation - will scan that stuff when I get a chance. I would REALLY like a taper attachment.

I got 65, 75, 80, 85, 115, 120 teeth for the loose ones - not certain about the ones currently on the lathe. What I have seen listed for these lathes are: 30, 50, 62, 75, 80, 85, 95, 120, and 127 teeth

Immediate plans are to clean it (after I get it home!), fix any issues, add a DRO - Crank - would you have words of wisdom or even pictures? I need a 4-jaw, a set of 5C collets, tool holders

Anyway, I am excited to have this as my current lathe is a 9" SB...!

Ray

To all,

My apologies for falling off the face of the planet. Life has been a bit hectic. In November we found out that a live donor match was found for my daughter, who has needed a liver transplant. She had her transplant on the 12th of December and it has been a difficult healing process. We are coming up on the fourth month and she is slowly making recovery, but has spent most of that time hospitalized. I'm slowly trying to catch up with my hobbies and this is the first time I've been on the forum since last year.

JJ,
Luckily, these lathes are incredibly straight forward design, the only nuance is filling the oilers. I don't have a follow rest or any good image to reference.

neilho,
Congrats on the aquisition, but I'm surprised you mentioned regrinding the ways. Everyone that I have found that has one, it's one item that seems to be in excellent condition so I'm curious what happened to yours.

Ray,
You have made a quantum leap forward in power and stiffness, so congrats on that. I don't have much "wisdom" to pass on, I still have to get settled and check what I have for gears because I foresee some metric threading in my future and haven't got a clue if I have all of the correct gearing. Not to mention that I still haven't spent any time programming the VFD or set myself up with a decent 4 jaw.

Mark

Thanks Crank,

Good luck with your daughter!

I will likely have some questions! The 1st being - when you had your gearbox apart, did you note all the gear ratios in the gear box?

Thanks

Ray

Ray,

Thanks for the well wishes for my daughter.

As for the QCGB, never saw a reason to count those teeth. The gears I'm talking about are the ones that you swap on the banjo to get the various data plate combinations. I'm still trying to figure out how to read the metric module chart, I skimmed over it and started to get cross-eyed.

Don't hesitate to ask, these lathes aren't rare, but they seem to have gone under the radar for the most part and there is limited chatter about them. My theory is that they are so rugged that rarely is anyone in need of digging up info and secondly, most hobbyist owners have gotten these machines from the original purchasers when the company folded or replaced all of their equipment. My theory/fantasy and I'm sticking to it. :grin:

I will only hesistantly admit this on this forum, because the guy I traded with is on another forum, but this thing is the smoothest cutting lathe I have ever used and to me, it's noticeably better than the 14x60 that I traded him. I truly hope that he is still happy with my old lathe and he probably felt he got the better end of the deal, but the size, power and accuracy of the Takisawa is just what I needed. I had 3 feet of lathe on that other one that always gathered dust, so downsizing was the right thing for me (plus it gave me 3 feet of space to fill with a Schaublin 102).

Keep in mind that I am not an all-seeing mystic, but I have been into every corner of this machine and studied everything I can, so I will do my best to share whatever knowledge I have gained.

Mark

P.S. I was just complaining about a lack of a decent 4 jaw and just scored a Rohm 12" off of Ebay!!!:D

Hi Mark!

I ask because with those numbers I can easily calculate what the arbitrary stack of gears I have will do...

I also JUST scored a 10" Bison 4 jaw.

I do have the factory docs scanned if anyone needs them

Ray

Back