Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

Hello fellow Takisawa owners! I too am the proud owner of a 1970 TSL-800D! Purchased for a mere $400!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic,
Thanks for saying hello and adding to the ranks. With that early of a production date, is yours one of the ones still produced in Japan? That was a heck of a score at that price!

Mark

Classic,
Thanks for saying hello and adding to the ranks. With that early of a production date, is yours one of the ones still produced in Japan? That was a heck of a score at that price!

Mark

Hello Mark
The tag on the front says "Yamazen Co. LTD
Nishi-Ku. Osaka Japan

Hello Mark
The tag on the front says "Yamazen Co. LTD
Nishi-Ku. Osaka Japan

There is no importer tag anywhere to be found!
It was an absolute rust bucket! But after what seems like a thousand hours with 4" grinder and wire wheel it actually functions flawlessly!
I used it to make a motor plate to mount a newer motor on my 63 Bridgeport j head mill. Wow it is dream come true for me!

Classic,
Glad you saved it from the scrapper. No idea if they always used importers, yours might have been through that Yamazen outfit, I'm unfamiliar with that name.

Mark

Crank,
Just joined on Sunday, saw your post and wondering how your rebuild is going. I bought a TSL 800 D new, back in 1984, and still use it regularly. Can't say enough good things about this lathe. I have done everything on this lathe and it holds tenths all day long. (Although, I only run it all day long about 4 times a year) That includes cycling through tool holders on the Aloris tool post, and and turning that cross slide back to the pencil marks. I have the 2 speed motor and Japanese made A2 spindle. Mine was imported by Sharp.

Ron P.

Ron,
Got the body filler done and shot some primer on it. I need to wrap it up, put it together and make some chips. Life has been an annoying distraction, but I'm slowly moving forward. I need to get going because I have a trip coming up to the Philippines and I'll lose most of December, so it would be nice to be running by turkey day. Nice to hear from an original owner. If you have any pointers, I'm all ears.

Mark

Okay, I have been neglectful to update because I have been preoccupied with life and hadn't spent much time on the lathe. I got primer and paint on the main body and that has been drying for 2 weeks. Last weekend I started cleaning the quick change gearbox and felt that the bearings might have debris in them. So, this afternoon, POOF! One gearbox to parade rest. I'm just going to order new bearings and never worry about it again. Hopefully, I can load some pics from my phone.

Mark

Message_1508105719479.jpg20171028_172033_HDR.jpg

Well, here's a quick update of progress. I installed all new bearings in the QCGB with minimal fuss and it took about 6 hours to do it slowly and methodically, Shot primer and paint on most of the remaining parts, but I still need to paint the carriage. The apron was in pristine condition and I won't mess with the bearings in that and it's also painted now. After months of study to learn what the limitations and features of VFD's have grown to, I pulled the trigger and ordered an Invertek Inverter 4kW 1 phase 240V in, 3 phase 2 out, ODE-3-320153-104Y from the UK and it showed up yesterday.

invertek.jpg

My only other VFD is a tiny 1HP on my Bridgeport and I never made any changes from the default settings. This one is going to replace my 10HP RPC and I will be able to delete all of the switches/relays from the lathe. It has the ability to be programmed for accelleration and decelleration rates along with a zillion other parameters, so my mechanical spindle brake may become obsolete also. I'm not sure if I will have it under power before I leave, but I'm going to give it a whirl tonight. This was a bit expensive as compared to some of the stuff out of Asia, but I only want to buy something like this once. This will likely be my last progress update for a few weeks, but I'll be able to stay in touch while I'm gone.

Mark

Back