Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

Congratulations, umnik. I see you have a gear set and a follower, excellent. A standard feature is missing, which is the longitudinal feed cutoff, not critical by any means, but nice to have. Some googling will lead to a manual and some exploded views for parts.

There are holes in the base for two lifting bars, and my two ton engine hoist easily lifted the lathe for rolling around positioning in the shop.

Also, there are a lot of digits showing on the DRO. Please report the resolution when you can.

Have fun!

Rbahr, that is a very helpful set of photos, thanks for taking the time to do that.

Thanks, Winegrower.
I thought that longitudinal feed cutoff is kind of standard feature. Well, will live without one. In my experience when I shopping for something I look for all those grate features, but once you get them not always use them. Like I always wanted a car with moonroof. But once I got one, I realized that I am even not always notice that I have one ;-)
This lathe is 3 phase. How do run them (for us who don't have 3 phase in our shops)? I know about static and rotary converters. Rotary seems too expensive and they may be noisy. With static you loose 1/3 of motor power, but may be OK, given our lathes have 5HP. And finally VFD. Anybody did complete VFD conversion for this lathe?
First two options are pretty straightforward, but VFD will require much more involvement, though it can bring nice touches, like variable (to some degree of cause) speed, and electronic quick stop with brake resistor and other things.

... And finally VFD. Anybody did complete VFD conversion for this lathe?
First two options are pretty straightforward, but VFD will require much more involvement, though it can bring nice touches, like variable (to some degree of cause) speed, and electronic quick stop with brake resistor and other things.
Basically, everyone goes with the VFD, it really isn't a big deal. I use one on my mill and another on my TSL-800, the same unit that Crank uses.

I have one static phase converter that I use for the mill, the lathe and the saw. No problem with power as far as i’m Able to notice. I put a VFD on my wood lathe...it’s ok, nothing to get too excited about. Probably would not do that again, just rely on the Reeves drive for speed control.

Note that Takisawa has a very effective foot break...better than a VFD in my opinion.

Unless of course the previous owner removed it... The plan is to integrate the brake pedal switch into the VFD to create an electronic version of the brake.

I did try contacting them and didn't hear back. Trying again.

I have one static phase converter that I use for the mill, the lathe and the saw. No problem with power as far as i’m Able to notice. I put a VFD on my wood lathe...it’s ok, nothing to get too excited about. Probably would not do that again, just rely on the Reeves drive for speed control.

Note that Takisawa has a very effective foot break...better than a VFD in my opinion.
I am thinking to start with static phase converter to get going. May be later switch to VFD. Does TSL800/1000 have anything else inside powered by 3-phase, like coolant pump and such? What is minimum static phase converter power rating are necessary for lathe's 5HP motor?

Just reading through the thread again. Lots of asks for change gears and follow rests; I found Wacheon USA has a used parts finding service for pre-1985 Takisawa TSL-800 lathes on their site. If you need it, that might be a good place to find it.

Back