Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

I just found this thread and am looking for all the headstock and motor bearings would anyone have numbers?

I just found this thread and am looking for all the headstock and motor bearings would anyone have numbers?
I have the manual, you can find it here, but it does not mention part numbers. Mine is fine, so I did not take it appart so can not see the actual items to see any markings. What is wrong with your lathe?

It makes bearing noises from the input to the spindle nose and motor. Was hoping to find bearing numbers to order so it's not torn down so long. I've had this machine 24 yrs and it is getting noisier. Still holds tolerances well though.

It's a little embarrassing to ask, but I've had a TSL-800 for about two years. As soon as I bought it, I replaced the old chuck and back plate, but don't remember how the back plate adapter mounts. I "think" there are four bolts, mounted from the tail stock side, holding the back plate adapter to the spindle, then four more bolts attach the chuck to the adapter. Is this correct?

The reason I'm asking is because I now have a 4-jaw chuck and though I'd make or buy a second adapter plate so that it can be more quickly be swapped with the existing 3-jaw without losing alignment. Now, I think that's going to be pointless if the above is correct. That is, in order to swap chucks, I think I have to unbolt the chuck and bolt the other chuck to the same adapter plate. Having a second adapter plate isn't going to save me any effort. Is that correct?

Thanks.

It's a little embarrassing to ask, but I've had a TSL-800 for about two years. As soon as I bought it, I replaced the old chuck and back plate, but don't remember how the back plate adapter mounts. I "think" there are four bolts, mounted from the tail stock side, holding the back plate adapter to the spindle, then four more bolts attach the chuck to the adapter. Is this correct?

The reason I'm asking is because I now have a 4-jaw chuck and though I'd make or buy a second adapter plate so that it can be more quickly be swapped with the existing 3-jaw without losing alignment. Now, I think that's going to be pointless if the above is correct. That is, in order to swap chucks, I think I have to unbolt the chuck and bolt the other chuck to the same adapter plate. Having a second adapter plate isn't going to save me any effort. Is that correct?

Thanks.
@kb58
it looks like (from your description) you have A2-5 mount on your lathe, that is what I have too. The mounting procedure you described is correct for plain mounting chucks, when the adapter is mounted on a lathe and then the chuck is mounted on the adapter. There is another class of chucks which are called direct mount chucks. They are designed to be mounted on a lathe directly, without an adapter. Putting on and off direct mount chucks is quicker, but that chuck can not be used on other mounts. I personally bought direct A2-5 mount 3- and 4-jaws chucks for quicker changeover.

I got a direct-mount 3-jaw, but as I recall, the "direct" part was just an adapter plate supplied with it.

Regarding your direct-mount chucks, how do they attach? I assume that there are pass-through holes in the chuck for bolts to screw directly into the spindle.

And thank you for the reply!

I got a direct-mount 3-jaw, but as I recall, the "direct" part was just an adapter plate supplied with it.

Regarding your direct-mount chucks, how do they attach? I assume that there are pass-through holes in the chuck for bolts to screw directly into the spindle.

And thank you for the reply!
Mine chucks do not have back plate and the back side matches the mount place on a lathe. The chucks have pass-through holes for bolts, like you mentioned.

Sigh, I should have done some investigating before asking! Both the 3- and 4-jaw chucks are from Bison and as I recall, both are plain-backed. The 3-jaw has three bolts, which I'm almost positive just bolt it to the adapter plate, not the spindle.

I'll have to see if the adapter plate has both a 3- and 4-bolt circle... that would be nice. Since it came from Bison as well, one can hope. I checked their online catalog but it's not loading properly. Probably easier to just unbolt the 3-jaw and see. If it is, great. If not, then either I can drill it myself, or I'm back to making one. Thanks for putting up with me.

Last edited:
Found something posted here by of all people, me:
For my Bison 3-jaw chuck, I had to buy an "A2" adapter to use with their "tru-align" series. For my Bison 4-jaw, it surprisingly has an integral A1 or A2 interface (can't remember which).

The irritation with the adapter is that if you want to switch chucks, it means unbolting the chuck first, then unbolting the adapter. Doing so loses chuck alignment, so switching to a 4-jaw always comes with the thought "do I really need to", when it shouldn't.

Last edited:
Back