weight load calculation

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
This is actually the last phase of installing a new compressor in my shop. Trying to put two lbs. of junk in a one lb. box.

I am building large storage shelves and will use square tubing for the support strength. Trying to decide what size I need. if I can get the most simple question answered I can go from there.

The verticals will be 90 inches apart. Assuming uniform load along the length, how much weight would one horizontal 2x2 1/8 wall tube support? same question for 1/4 wall, same question for 1.5x1.5.

Sounds like you need some pallet racks. They're usually available cheap and have standard load ratings so you don't have to do the engineering yourself. I doubt you can buy the material for less, I just put mine back together today and will load it up good.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/d/minneapolis-pallet-rack/6887892140.html

Sorry I can't help with the engineering, but not sure I'd want to if I could....

Cheers,

John

Cannot speak for 2”, but suspect will hold a reasonable amount but not as much as expected. 90” is a pretty wide span. I would cut that in half.
We use pallet rack systems.

Found a calculator

Last edited:
Thanks for that craig's list link. That's a cheap deal on the 3" load beams.

This will be creeping elegance. Started thinking about 2" angle iron, then thought maybe I should go a bit more with tubing, now I'm up to pallet rack.

90 inches of 1/4 wall 2x2 will handle a lot. But a center support would be a great idea or some bracing off of the verticals. The good news is that an air compressor is mostly, well air, so not really that heavy relative to the footprint. And in the case of yours, the mounting feet are quite a ways apart so it moves the load out towards the verticals thus the load is well distributed over the span.

Just to put this in perspective, here are my two 5 hp compressors, plus over 1000 lbs of steel and aluminum on the shelves. The the entire thing is made from 2x2x1/8 (plus the pallet rack on one side) maximum span is 48 inches.

Glad to see somebody else has to stuff their shop full to the ceiling. :)

In my shop, there is empty space from five feet to the ceiling along the back of the garage area. Want to fill this up with a couple storage shelves for all the misc. stuff that fills up the shop. The suggested load beams are a ridiculous overkill, but cheap. And I like cheap :)

Re: load calculator

Thanks for that load calculator, just what I was looking for. A single 6 gauge (0.203 thick) 2 x 2 on 90" space will hold just over 2000 lbs. I was going to use three. So, even that is overkill.

Also played with required vertical columns. I can go MUCH smaller than I thought possible.

Last edited:
Back