Weiss Machinery ???

Hi
When i was looking in to a lathe from china, it was one of the better ones, there is 2-3 that import them into the UK.
It was 2-3 years ago & a lot can change in that time. I think some of the lathe PM imports are Weiss but i may be wrong.
It may have import costs ???
jeff

German names, Chinese machinery. Oh, well, I guess I would do the same.

My lathe is from "Kent USA" (Also made in China. You have to go to the label mounted on the back of the machine to know that)

Weiss is a distributor of machines from multiple sources as opposed to a manufacturer from what I was told a while back. You will often see a manufacturer with rows of different colored and badged machines all basically the same model distended for different distributors. The specs may be vendor specific. Weiss for a period of time had a US distribution center, seems to come and go. This is there current site http://www.weiss-us.com/index.php?route=common/home

The pictures seem the same as those used on eBay, but the link you provided ships from China. So if you have any problems or issues, it is highly unlikely you will have any support. As already mentioned, you may get dinged for import fees and who know what else.

Eisen has been around for a long time, has an assortment of nice machines that seem similar to those supplied by other US distributors. So for the 1236, this is pretty much the same as the one sold here. http://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1236-t/

Each distributor may have different specs, so they may look the same and yet be different. So I would look for a machine that fits your needs, has good customer support/reviews and parts will be available down the line. The 1236GT and 1340GT are very similar, the design has been around for a long time and they are quality lathes.

Weiss has an authorized distributor in Vacaville CA (near the SF Bay Area): DRO Pros

If you look at the SF Bay Craigslist and checks for lathes, they have a listing.

Thanks Gents, for taking the time to reply to a probably many times asked questions
This is a major purchase for me....trying to research as best I can
Looking like the PM 1236 will soon have a new home in my shop

Thanks Gents, for taking the time to reply to a probably many times asked questions
This is a major purchase for me....trying to research as best I can
Looking like the PM 1236 will soon have a new home in my shop
Good choice and an excellent supplier!

Just ordered a Weiss WBL290F from DRO PROS they have been very accessible so the experience has been good so far. Now will see after I get the lathe in my shop :) PMs 1127 and 1228 lathes look very similar to the Weiss Lathes DRO PROS are selling. I would have went with PM (3 yr warranty) but theirs are on back order and I just couldn't wait :)

If u look up "sumore tools" in Shanghai, many of the machines sold under popular labels are made by them. If you are crazy as a loon, (like me) u can import yourself. Also look on "alibaba" for possible sources. Most have a minimum order quantity, but will add your one machine to someone elses production run and ship seperatly.

I am personally underwhelmed with mainland Chinese machinery. I believe it best for me to work through someone who has some level of influence over them. My luck would certainly yield poor results otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back