Welder cable connector material choices

martik777

Active User
Registered
I need to make some connectors like these. Looks like brass but would steel or aluminum be suitable? It's for a 200A stick welder, Infrequent use.

Converting it to DC

weld cable.jpg

Brass and aluminum have better conductivity than steel. Brass wears better in this application too. Aluminum would be ok for infrequent plug/unplug
Mark

When I added DC to my Miller buzz box, I just bought the connectors from a welding supply house. If I were making them, I would use brass.

Brass or Copper. There is a Copper called ETP or Copper 110 which is made specifically for busbars.

Unless you just want to make them, you can get a set of 200amp connectors fairly cheap on amazon. Just seems like one of those things that are more trouble to make than buy for the price. But, sometimes I forget this is a machinists forum and most of us enjoy the challenge!

Definitely something to buy rather than make. If not for the time it will take then definitely the liability factor. You may not always own the welder so replacing parts like these with UL ( or whatever the equivalent standard is where you live) is something to consider.

John

Id stick with brass. Aluminum works but you will eventually have issues caused by the oxidation layer that forms to completely encapsulate the "connection/plug" which is an "Insulator" more so then it is a "Conductor" of electricity. You can deal with this by sanding or grinding the connection leads but that can be a big PITA and will eventually lead to needing a replacement once again.

Back