Welding cart build

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I need a new welding cart to hold my MIG and TIG machines.
I have a sheet metal one for my MIG but the addition of TIG to the shop means that cart is too small.

I lucked into a serious warehouse cart for $50 so it’s going to be metal supply.
996eebd95873d8be66ae8241ab4f749f.jpg

I cut it into its major components tonight and it’s a heap of 1” square steel.
99d2ad15903ad188e8d034127d398fb6.jpg

I’m going to design it so that I can take advantage of the bent corners as much as possible.
Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With some careful planning you can make a solid welding cart out of it for sure, it does need some sheet metal added to it to stiffen it a bit, maybe a few small sheets of checker plate. so far so good.

Not sure what kind/type of welding bench you have but that hinged shelf might make a nice folding table for small jobs that stays with the welders .

ooooohhhh that looks like my kinda fun! Another good score. Back in the 90’s I took what was supposed to be a temp fab job installing a fruit sizer. We were always on our own in tight places and the main welder was a little Lincoln 175 mig. Where we lived the old guy who owned the place used to own the local grocery store and there was a pile of the old heavy duty carts in back. I took one of those and made a very tidy little cart for the welder and small Co2 bottle with a tray on top for consumables and tools. I’m always trying to recreate that cart except with my little HyperTherm plasma added on. Your cart has all the right stuff, it’s all about picturing the detail and executing. Definitely watching.

Not sure what kind/type of welding bench you have but that hinged shelf might make a nice folding table for small jobs that stays with the welders .
Funny you mention that as I've been thinking about the possibility of having a hinged table off the side...

ooooohhhh that looks like my kinda fun! Another good score. Back in the 90’s I took what was supposed to be a temp fab job installing a fruit sizer. We were always on our own in tight places and the main welder was a little Lincoln 175 mig. Where we lived the old guy who owned the place used to own the local grocery store and there was a pile of the old heavy duty carts in back. I took one of those and made a very tidy little cart for the welder and small Co2 bottle with a tray on top for consumables and tools. I’m always trying to recreate that cart except with my little HyperTherm plasma added on. Your cart has all the right stuff, it’s all about picturing the detail and executing. Definitely watching.
It was definitely a score. Didn't take more than 20 mins to reduce it to its major pieces.
The swivelling casters have seen better days but I have a bunch of casters that I've collected over the years so I can probably sort that out easily.
I'd like to make hangers for hoses, rod holders, a drawer for consumables and space for two 110 cu ft tanks.
I don't think I can design this in my head this time around. Might have to resort to paper :D

Because I am the epitome of a broken record, in my overstuffed under sized shop unit specific storage is paramount as I usually have to move things around and that always seems to block storage if it’s not with the machine. I picked up a couple of 3 drawer file cabinets for free thanks to mikri and one I finally got built into my drilling center. The other I want to put under my mig/plasma cart. The two letter drawers are great for tooling/consumables and the bottom file drawer is perfect for my welding hood, gloves and gator sleeves. Much better than hanging on the outside as it doesn’t accumulate dust on the lens.

Just got the UniDrill up on it’s stand with the cab in it. Cant ever seem to get to paint. Next hopefully will be building the welding cart.

Attachments

• FBBD2375-A166-4B02-A97B-0C4DDFE171CD.jpeg
    FBBD2375-A166-4B02-A97B-0C4DDFE171CD.jpeg
    780.2 KB · Views: 62
I've thought about putting the MIG and TIG side by side and putting a file cabinet underneath. Just a bit concerned about the width as I'd like to keep a narrow footprint.
The MIG is 10" W, the TIG is 12" W x 22 D so it is effectively setting the machine footprint. Side by side the two tanks are basically 15" wide.
If I put the machines side by side, I'd have a minimum width of about 24" once some rod and cable holders are in place.
I have 16" long, 100lb capacity full extension drawer slides so I'm thinking about a side opening drawer which would avoid the tangle of hoses that comes off the front of the machines.

Last edited:
That sounds like exactly what I was thinking about but with the cab facing front because the machines are facing sideways with the power cords and c-clamps on one side and the work and grounds on the other. My cheapo present solution is sideways on an old HF handtruck cart they used to sell. The only thing that really sticks out is the rubber anti kink boot on the mig stinger.

Back