Welding cart build

Nothing wrong with your drawing, I knew exactly where the drawer was. And probably a lot better than my welding too!
Thanks Frank, a large amount of a Staedler eraser met an inglorious end this evening. Isometric views are not my strong suit, though it got easier as I went along.

Thanks Frank, a large amount of a Staedler eraser met an inglorious end this evening. Isometric views are not my strong suit, though it got easier as I went along.
Isometric is the only way to go IMHO. It conveys everything in one picture, instead of 3. When I’d do sketches for the fab shop I’d always do isometric with dimensions and I always got what I wanted the first time.

Isometric is the only way to go IMHO. It conveys everything in one picture, instead of 3. When I’d do sketches for the fab shop I’d always do isometric with dimensions and I always got what I wanted the first time.
I think it's a matter of practice for me. Trying to twist my brain to put the lines in the right places visually instead of how they are attached. (I don't expect that makes any kind of sense....)

I have a bunch of Miller carts as in the photos below. I use the dual cylinder one as my O/A cart.

I copied the “TIG Runner” cart for a fun project. These carts are as narrow as can be, but you can hang all kinds of things on the side.

Making your own welding cart is a super fun project!

963DDE37-F020-4A00-9D7B-1A47561D963F.jpeg98C03385-0363-42AB-B49A-935C0AB0BB04.jpeg

Last edited:
You need to use google sketchup. You can download it for free. Get the book sketchup for dummies. I use it for all of my drawings. It has a few quirks like any program All in all it is very easy to learn and very user friendly. For me it is just like drawing with pencil and paper. You end up with a 3d drawing that you can rotate to any view you want. One tip that makes drawing easier is to break your drawing into groups. That way you can work on each group without messing up other parts of the drawing.

Sketchup for dummies....whoda thunk? For some reason working on a computer program crosswires me. It’s like the creative part of me disconnects. I’ve tried Sketchup with the online tutorial and it seemed like more work than a pencil and paper. I’ll look into the dummy book ‘cause I are one.

I think it's a matter of practice for me. Trying to twist my brain to put the lines in the right places visually instead of how they are attached. (I don't expect that makes any kind of sense....)
I first took mechanical drawing in 7th grade summer school as a unit in wood shop. Honestly, I liked that the best as wood is not my preferred medium. I ended up taking mech drawing all through high school and was the only class I got straight A’s in. Because I used to draw I knew all about perspective and that’s what isometric is. In 7th grade iso was optional and I was the only one who did it for extra credit. Everybody has quirks, iso was mine, meanwhile I suck at math.

If you are good at iso then sketchup should be a breeze for you. I use parallel projection, not perspective, and start all of my drawings in top view. Once the basic shape is drawn I then tilt the drawing to whatever is a convenient angle. Now you are drawing in a 3d view. Using guide lines, guide points and the compass feature is very helpful. And always break your drawing into lots of groups. Otherwise it can be very time consuming and even frustrating to fix errors or make changes. You can draw in feet and inches or metric. In feet and inches you can draw in either fractions or decimals. In decimal inches the precision is 0.0000" In fractions the precision is 1/64"

I find online tutorials to be slow and time consuming because you have to constantly jump back and forth between your drawing and the tutorial. Much easier with the book because you can have the book open while doing the drawing. Or if you have two computers that would work to. One to do the drawing and one to have the tutorial.

A couple of hours doing a drawing to get the basics down and you will be on your way to quickly draw anything that you can imagine.

Back