Welding Cast Iron to fill holes..add metal to an old vise

expressline99

Registered
Registered
So I got big ole machine/milling vise...not made for use on a rotating base. (I might figure that out anyway.) Anyway, it's got a number of issues. One is that it has a bent acme screw I will get to that later. It's had a rough life and currently has a lot of drill holes in it. I've ordered 1 pound of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobart-H990...cast-Electrodes-No-Tax-Free-Ship/182380233853 My stick welding isn't too bad. Might be better than my MIG welding. But anyway, I've never welded cast iron before and I'm wondering if I will need to heat it up to cherry red before welding it? It might be near impossible to do that since there is so much mass... Or is that only if you are brazing/TIGing it?

Paul

No pics! So sorry, cannot be that helpful. Just guessing because no pics, but I would use Devcon steel instead of welding. It’s a no heat fix, much safer, no machining required, not as durable though…Dave

So I got big ole machine/milling vise...
it has a bent acme screw I will get to that later. It's had a rough life and currently has a lot of drill holes in it.

It may be easiest to deal with the bent screw by inserting money... but fixing holes is reminiscent of this:
<
>

Do yourself a favor and go with the Devcon; inexperience and arc welding cast iron is a recipe for disappointment; I prefer to braze cast iron and am fairly good at it, and it does not require nearly the preheat needed to prevent cracking and hard spots as with nickel rod, whether Tig or stick. As far as the screw is concerned, straightening a screw is not easy, make a new one.

+1 on brazing
my 2nd choice would be GTAW w/silicon bronze rod
my 3rd choice would be NiFe SMAW

grinding will be the only real method of knocking down NiFe post weld
bronze can be machined easily in comparison.
you'll see the repair unless painted over in either condition

+1 on brazing
my 2nd choice would be GTAW w/silicon bronze rod
my 3rd choice would be NiFe SMAW

grinding will be the only real method of knocking down NiFe post weld
bronze can be machined easily in comparison.
you'll see the repair unless painted over in either condition

Hey Mike,
I've done zero brazing...But have torch setup. But that's not stopped me before. I could take this opportunity to learn it I suppose.
Don't have a GTAW setup... :/ It's on the want list though.
Stick can be a PITA but I've got two tombstones in the garage. One of which I'm willing to trade for something lathe/mill related. lol

I think you and Dave saw me get this thing from Guy. It's a mess and I know better. But I can't help myself.

It may be easiest to deal with the bent screw by inserting money... but fixing holes is reminiscent of this:
<
>

I uh...have a tendency to insert money on all my projects. Wasted or not I tend to try and do it anyway. I like those guys. Keith is great.

Do yourself a favor and go with the Devcon; inexperience and arc welding cast iron is a recipe for disappointment; I prefer to braze cast iron and am fairly good at it, and it does not require nearly the preheat needed to prevent cracking and hard spots as with nickel rod, whether Tig or stick. As far as the screw is concerned, straightening a screw is not easy, make a new one.

Oh I don't get too disappointed with messing up. It doesn't bother me to try hard and end up destroying it and buy a new one. This is way more towards "oooo I can do that." One way or the other I'll learn a lot. I might even learn I don't want to do this again. :)

Back