Welding Gas Cylinder Carrier

Not attempting to be a safety nazi, but I wanted to reinforce that idea of securing bottles that are carried inside the vehicle. I was rear ended a year and a half ago by an inattentive driver who was doing 55 mph and only saw me sitting in front of her at the last minute. I had just picked up a drive shaft for the Jeep at a junkyard and it was sitting in back with the back seats down. The cargo area of my Cherokee buckled like an accordion, forming a perfect ramp to direct the drive shaft directly at the back of my head.

I credit the fact that I was wearing a heavy wool felt cap at the time and the fact that I was driven down onto my back for me surviving with a 4 inch gash through my scalp. My lawyer said that I was considered partially responsible for the injury because I hadn't secured the drive shaft.

Just something to consider. It missed the base of my skull by about 2 inches.

Randy,
Not trying to rain on your parade brother. In my line of work I've seen horrible things happen to people, some at fault and many innocent victims. As I stated, your design and quality build is appreciated. Theres a big difference between a propane cylinder and a high pressure vessel. I remember the Navy training films that showed the damage these cylinders can afflict.
Plenty of information out there on high pressure gas cylinder mishap the subject. The cylinder caps provide ample protection from a simple fall not much more.
Everything I write is meant with respect and professionalism and because I care.
Respectfully,

Paco

Not having a pickup, I sometimes need to transport gasoline in 5 gal cans in the rear of my SUV. I'm terrified that I will get rear ended by a texting driver and it will spray gas all over the interior. Any switch or relay could then be an ignition source.
I now have a hitch mounted cargo carrier which I can use for this. Safer? Illegal? Seems better than in the interior. Or I could buy an Pinto...
Robert

Back