Welding helmet for my son

Mark_W

Registered
Registered
Here's the deal. My son has been taking welding in High School, and is dual-enrolled in the local vocational school for welding. He wants me to buy him an auto-darkening welding helmet and says he wants Harbor Freight brand, apparently all his buddies have got them. He's wanting to go into Welding when he graduates here in a few months. Now, as a machinist, if I were to show up to a new job with harbor freight tools, I know I'd be laughed off of the shop floor. What reputable brands and models are considered acceptable by the pros?

Mark

I bought a Radnor from the local welding supply, an order of magnitude better the the HF ones I've bought, about $120. Also allows battery replacement.

Frustrating; I've been trying to read up on Miller helmets, but the Miller webpage is down. Their equipment has a decent reputation though if even I have heard of it LOL. Welding isn't my thing. I braze and silver solder like a proper craftsman (waiting for the flaming).

I have a Lincoln Viking 3350 and love it. Not cheap, but I used to see "spots" with my old auto darkening helmet (cheap one) because it didn't turn dark quick enough. I couldn't control the shades on that one either. You can change the shades, sensitivity, response time, etc. on some of the better helmets like the Viking.

If my kid was going to weld for a living, I would get a decent one for him.

Ted

I have a Lincoln Viking 3350 and love it. Not cheap, but I used to see "spots" with my old auto darkening helmet (cheap one) because it didn't turn dark quick enough. I couldn't control the shades on that one either. You can change the shades, sensitivity, response time, etc. on some of the better helmets like the Viking.

If my kid was going to weld for a living, I would get a decent one for him.

Ted
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of with the cheap ones. We have a winter storm blowing in here, which strangely opens up all sorts of possibilities for ordering things. I was looking forward to looking at them in person with him.

If you're worried about respect from professionals you should try Jackson, the gold standard.

I sure as heck wouldn't show up with a hood that has some garish decals of an eagle tearing through a flag with lightning bolts in its talons or maybe a skull with a rattlesnake breathing fire on it. I laugh when I see those guys, makes me wonder what kind of chromed-up Jeep or super duty mail-order bolt-on job they drive.

Back