Welding helmet for my son

If you're worried about respect from professionals you should try Jackson, the gold standard.

I sure as heck wouldn't show up with a hood that has some garish decals of an eagle tearing through a flag with lightning bolts in its talons or maybe a skull with a rattlesnake breathing fire on it. I laugh when I see those guys, makes me wonder what kind of chromed-up Jeep or super duty mail-order bolt-on job they drive.
LOL my son says all that sort of thing is tacky. I think I'll go with classic black. I'm seeing decent prices aside from the delusional MSRP prices from the manufacturers.

If you're worried about respect from professionals you should try Jackson, the gold standard.

I sure as heck wouldn't show up with a hood that has some garish decals of an eagle tearing through a flag with lightning bolts in its talons or maybe a skull with a rattlesnake breathing fire on it. I laugh when I see those guys, makes me wonder what kind of chromed-up Jeep or super duty mail-order bolt-on job they drive.
With tattoos to match?

PM sent.....

Go to the welding supply, they should be able to help guide you to an affordable, quality helmet. They may even offer a student discount, mine did.

I have a generic black auto darkening helmet that has worked fine for me as a student, it cost about $130. I think the brand is Washington Alloy.

Eyes are kind of a big deal, you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good helmet, but you also don't want a cheap one that will fail to darken. Harbor Freight has some decent stuff, but I wouldn't trust my eyes to a $40 welding helmet.

Most major welding manufacturers have helmets from Lincoln, Miller, Hobart and Optrel.
Optrel was the most expesive at around $400 Can.

Frustrating; I've been trying to read up on Miller helmets, but the Miller webpage is down. Their equipment has a decent reputation though if even I have heard of it LOL. Welding isn't my thing. I braze and silver solder like a proper craftsman (waiting for the flaming).
Can I get a short training session next time you're near Maryville? :grin: (after I get the shop straightened up of course...)

HF is definitely low end in terms of performance. I bought one because it was cheap ($2 at a garage sale with dead batteries). If your son is still in the trade school, it should be OK, but I was on a job with a guy who will send an applicant away if he sees anything from Harbor Freight. I still think it was him who swiped my HF suction cups :).

Back