Welding helmet for my son

HF is definitely low end in terms of performance. I bought one because it was cheap ($2 at a garage sale with dead batteries). If your son is still in the trade school, it should be OK, but I was on a job with a guy who will send an applicant away if he sees anything from Harbor Freight. I still think it was him who swiped my HF suction cups :).
I had a job once where the boss was doubtful about my Brown and Sharpe micrometers. That's not exactly in the same league as Harbor Freight, but what do you say to somebody like that?

I had a job once where the boss was doubtful about my Brown and Sharpe micrometers. That's not exactly in the same league as Harbor Freight, but what do you say to somebody like that?
Boss was clueless and didn't know who/what B&S is/was?.
Had a senior manager when I was a Sr. Quality Engineer in the defense sector, who didn't know what SPC was. . . :rolleyes:

Another happy Viking 3350 owner here. I've gone through a bunch from the cheapo, through some decent brands. The Lincoln doesn't leave my eyes feeling tired after a heavy welding session, the view is superbly clear, it's comfortable and I have 100% confidence in it. I reckon I'd have had an easier time learning if I'd had it from the get-go.

Where I really learned to appreciate my Viking 3350 is with TIG welding... I really have to focus and watch the puddle very closely on TIG. For me, it's the least forgiving welding method I've used... MIG and stick I can sit back a little and just guide it in, but for TIG I get up close (probably too close!) and really focus on those keyholes.

I'm a new TIG welder and adding that machine to my shop was a great move!

Ted

I was trying to TIG pinch weld some 26 ga sheet with my cheap helmet and I could not see when the current was way down (mostly just guessing) so you know what kind of weld I got. Ordered the Viking and walla I could see. Finished the project in no time!
Aaron

I use a Hobart pro series helmet. It works great. I tried the cheap ones but they sometimes wouldn't darken and would always pull my hair when taking the helmet off. The Hobart Pro has a very comfortable head gear, uses 4 straps instead 3 like the cheap ones.

Have a look at the Lincoln 3350.
Another 3350 fan here. It is so clear. If he is just starting out he needs to be able to see the puddle clear and learn how to manipulate it. That is hard to do with a 50 dollar helmet. Invest in your eyes. It is the only pair you have got.

man i feel old school :guilty:
i still prefer to use the flip up Huntsman's that i had for 30 years. must be habit i suppose.
i bought an early model of the auto darkening hood and didn't like the delay in the auto dark, so i kept it old school
i use a gold lens for mig'n, tig'n and stick'n

man i feel old school :guilty:
i still prefer to use the flip up Huntsman's that i had for 30 years. must be habit i suppose.
i bought an early model of the auto darkening hood and didn't like the delay in the auto dark, so i kept it old school
i use a gold lens for mig'n, tig'n and stick'n

Mike, things have changed. The Viking 3350 is light, comfortable but most importantly, reliably darkens in nanoseconds. As soon as you stop welding the lens lightens and the view is the best I've seen in a welding helmet. You can adjust for how dark you want it and this helps because different processes and amperage put out different amounts of light. The 3350 is cheap for what it is and I would upgrade if I were you.

Back