Welding Helmet query

I have a fixed shade old school welding mask for low amp TIG. Actually, I usually only use the auto dark for stick. There are lots of tricks that you can do for low amp TIG. Use a big glass, use a gold lens, and light the working area with a large halogen light. Also, you can start on a copper block and walk the arc over if you don't have HF and a pedal. I have found that I don't need auto dark at all if I have a pedal and HF. Just touch, back off, and hit the pedal.

Ive been using a Speedglas 9000 for about 11 years....never loved it and they aren't cheap. Sometimes its finicky and i get flashed, i believe it only has one MAYBE 2 sensors. I bought a cheap one on Amazon that, to be honest, i like more AND its solar, can't tell you how many times my Speedglas went down and i didn't have TWO batteries. I just bought an OPTREL PANORAMAXX and i gotta say, blows away ANY helmet I've used. The auto setting (senses the amperage & adjusts accordingly) actually works great. The lens setup is sort of like a goggle within a helmet so you have FULL 180 degree vision. It has "true color" so no more green vision. I turned on the twilight setting and its so much easier on the eyes. It slowly goes clear instead of snapping off. Can't say enough about this hood. Also has FIVE sensors and is RECHARGEABLE. I have about 20 hours under it and is even started to put a dent in batteries. LOVE IT!

Got an ESAB Sentinel A50 a few months ago. It replaces a working perfectly Jackson NegGen which is about 11 years old. The ESAB is best helmet I have used. Wait for a % off day on ebay and they can be bought for good price.

I love my 2 Accu-Strike helmets. I have one basic helmet and the other I added a gold lens and magnifier. if you get flashed with the Accu-Strike...it's your own fault. accustrike.com is their website

Most good hoods (I'd include 3M in that category) have a sensitivity and shade adjustment. My 25 year old Jackson auto-darkening hood can do that. My HF "dirt hood" has shade and L-M-H sensitivity. If you're getting flashed, try the sensitivity. Being jumpy about flash won't help you relax and focus on your weld, you gotta fix that!

Take a look at the new Optrel Crystal...you'll be blown away. Yes, I'm a huge Optrel fan but this is a game changer.

Take a look at the new Optrel Crystal...you'll be blown away. Yes, I'm a huge Optrel fan but this is a game changer.
That Optrel stuff is nice. All of their auto lenses can do shade #4, that is one thing I'd really like to have.

(from mobile)

Back