Welding hydraulic cylinder rods

why weld it like someone else said cut off the piston end and re thread it , a lot simpler

why weld it like someone else said cut off the piston end and re thread it , a lot simpler

Although this would work great, it would in no way be simpler and take much longer vs cutting, beveling and welding. This could be done in under an hour x2. In fact he's probably already done with them.;)

I appreciate your positiveness, Firestopper, but I'm notoriously slow, especially this time of year. I spend a few months doing research waiting for it to warm up enough to venture outside again.

I thought about opening the cylinder up, but one little nick in a seal, and I'm dead in the water. Plus, a new hole would have to be drilled freehand and I don't know exactly how precise that hole needs to be drilled. Lastly, a different end on the rod may be of benefit in my case, which means cutting and welding anyway, so why not do the shortening at the same time? I bought the surplus cylinders on price and stroke, not proper ends. I thought I could allow for the extra rod length, but that just didn't pan out, so variation #2 on design, well, more like #10. :boxed in:

All suggestions are appreciated, but there are always a slew of factors involved that would take a book to list them all. I'm sure anyone who's ever built anything knows what I mean. :encourage:

Haven't seen it mentioned (or missed it) but if this is a welded cylinder it's time consuming to cut off an end and remove the piston/rod assembly just to get to the threaded end of the rod. Then you get to remachine one rod end, and prep the end you cut off and the cylinder for welding it back together. Far simpler to cut and reweld the connection.

Back