Welding Positioner

I bought my Certiflat positioner kit when they first released it and they had a special price for first 200 orders for $239.
I think that would be a great and much more reasonable price... $415 now for a kit for what you get is a bit steep for sure. I really have no idea what the raw materials cost and time to laser cut it would be. I asked if they would sell their assembled one at the kit price and was told no... worth an ask at least.

I built this one a while back and it has met my needs. Couldn't have spent $100 on it.

Here's my first hack, just to get my first project started and to see how I like or don't like where the motor is mounted. Welded 30 flanges onto 1" schedule 80 aluminum tube... aka monkey bars for daughters swing set.

The motor mount is not my idea, I saw that on FB somewhere, I like it because it swivels with the unit depending on it's vertical to horizontal position. I don't like how it hangs the motor out so far though. Next, I may mount it on the center body and drive the worm gear with a belt, motor will be stationary.

For the tiny stepper controller and driver, it worked out well. Has several features and can easily be wired for foot control. You can configure it for momentary use, or click/foot pedal to start for constant on and then click stop or foot pedal to stop. Can even set it so start and auto stop after 1 (or X) rotations.

Being 12-24 volt for the stepper controller/driver, any battery pack or wall wart DC power supply will work. I'll put it in a box with a standard jack so it can easily convert between cordless and corded.

With the worm gear having a 40:1 ratio, I set my motor RPM to 160 so I got 4 rpm on the top plate for welding.

1686230977395.png

Back