Welding Table Build

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
With the arrival of more winterlike weather, I decided it was time to make a welding table. Presently we have light
snow and 6 degrees Farenheit or about-14 Centigrade.

I picked up several pieces of 1/2 inch thick mild steel for the table top and some square tubing for the support legs and braces.
It is going to be heavy and I would like it movable so planning to use some pneumatic garden tractor front wheels on one end
and a pair of handles on the leg end so I can roll it around and out of the shop if desired. More on that part later I guess.

The steel I purchased was anything but square and was cut off with a torch so the first step was to use a carbide end mill and
mill the long sides parallel and the ends square with that. It was over a half inch from parallel so there was a lot of mill work
to do to get it reasonably straight. With that done, I got set up to mark where holes were to go and then proceed with drilling
and tapping. It looks like the tapping will have to be done in two setups on the mill to drill all the holes using my digital
readout on the mill for accurately spaced holes. I tried a number of taps and found that the three flute bottoming tap worked the
best so have been using that to do the tapping. I started the tap holes using the mill with a through tap enough to get the
verticality established and hand tapped from there.

It is a fairly big endeavor so am taking a break for a bit to post a few photos. These are the two steel plates for the table top.P1030067.JPGP1030068.JPGThis photo is my setup for milling the table top parallel.P1030071.JPG
This is how I started the tap with the mill and finished up by hand tapping, worked ok but somewhat slow. The holes are straight though
and no broken taps so far...P1030074.JPG
The Ultralube worked pretty well to make the tapping of the 1/2 inch holes easier. I will be able to use my milling clamps right on the
welding table if desired so that will be handy. Also, I will allow a space between the two plates for various clampage applications.:)

Well, that's it for the moment. I hope everyone is having a good day in HM land.

Last edited:
Like it!

I put mine on large castors and added some scaffold feet outboard. It's super stable when the feet are wound down and takes nothing to move when they're refracted. I have a large vise one one end and can quite happily hacksaw, bend or beat stuff without the table moving at all.

Scaffold feet are cheap too! Something like $80 for a set of 4 feet with mounting tubes and giant acme wing nuts to adjust them.

Sort of like the one I remember from school: "here's the 4" Magnesium tooling plate and the circular saw he used to cut that block off with" I mean, what could go wrong?!?

Seriously, the ME shop machinist actually did it...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Do any of you welder guys watch I C Weld on You tube? He repairs big equipment making it look easy. There are
some great tips if you watch his videos, stuff a hobby machinist or welder probably wouldn't think of. :encourage:

Do any of you welder guys watch I C Weld on You tube? He repairs big equipment making it look easy. There are
some great tips if you watch his videos, stuff a hobby machinist or welder probably wouldn't think of. :encourage:
Yeah, he does some amazing stuff! Got involved with a bit of that over the weekend myself fixing the local livery yards roller.

Most of the day was consumed by drilling and tapping. I still have to clean up the mess of chips created. Hopefully
tomorrow I can start on the remainder of the project. I still have not determined an optimum height for the table.
I'm thinking an 18 to 20 inch stool and a table height of in the vicinity of 32 inches or so. I will be using it for arc welding
and TIG welding as well. The table top(both pieces together) weighs about 150 pounds.

P1030075.JPGSo that's the progress so far. The steel pieces are different lengths so am looking for a way to fill in the void, possibly an
anvil or vise or something.

You are gonna find the holes will attract all kinds of weld splatter rending threads somewhat unusable over time without cleaning them out with a tap.

Back