Welding Table Build

You are gonna find the holes will attract all kinds of weld splatter rending threads somewhat unusable over time without cleaning them out with a tap.

You must be referring to weld spatter.:rolleyes:

Today I found some time to do some welding on the welding table. All in all it turned out OK. I was running out of welding rods so was
having to resort to some 7014 and even 6011 to finish up. I think I will bolt down the table top so that I can adjust it or remove it if needed.
My neighbor gave me an old lawn mower some years ago so used the front wheels from that to make the table movable. They are solid tires
so don't have to worry about airing them up. Also I need to grind off the mill scale so will be busy with that too. P1030076.JPG
There is more work to do so at least I have something to do tomorrow. Maybe the bottom part will get a coat of paint to spruce it
up a bit. Other than that is ready to go to work.:)

Do any of you welder guys watch I C Weld on You tube? He repairs big equipment making it look easy. There are
some great tips if you watch his videos, stuff a hobby machinist or welder probably wouldn't think of.

Great recommendation! Thanks!

I have watched 3 or 4 of his videos in the last couple days.
No drama, no crap, just a great approach to big, interesting projects.

and best yet.......finally a use for WD-40: at about 4:49 here:

He makes we want to go out and weld and cut stuff.

Thanks!
-brino

With the table pretty much complete, I thought a simple welding project was in order.
A while back I picked up two large C clamps that had been cut off and a small
stainless steel plate had been welded to the bottom end. There wasn't quite
enough material to drill a decent hole so I cut the stainless steel plate off and welded
on a piece of mild steel with a 9/16 hole drilled into it. I finished one of them up
and I think it will work out OK on the table. It would work on the drill press too come to think of it.

P1030082.JPG
I will do the other one in the morning and finish cleaning up the shop mess.

It's day two of rain here so found some time to finish up on the welding table. I used a brush and some very old green paint
that happens to match my Everlast welding equipment so went with that. Also, I beefed up the wheel structure with outboard
supports and finished up on the nonprotruding handles. A stool of some sort will likely be the next project.

Also, I did some leveling work on the plates and it turned out pretty flat, not perfect but certainly good enough. A rough
estimate on the materials is about two hundred dollars and about five hundred dollars on the labor.............:grin:

P1030092.JPG

Great job. That's a nice size. Everybody seems to want huge tables, but I've been able to do 90% of what I need on my 3x4' table over the last 20yrs. The only thing I might change on yours would be move the plate outboard on 3 sides. That gives you a surface to clamp to, and a little more surface area, that I have found to be really handy. Cheers, Mike

It's another rain day so had some time to try out the Everlast 210EXT TIG machine. I can see the learning curve in this
and am making a little progress I think. Here's a couple photos from this morning.

Photo 101 is welding 1/8 inch steel using DC and photo 100 is some 1/8 inch aluminum scraps running AC with 35% cleaning.
I'm left handed so not sure which hand to hold the torch in. I will be trying it both ways and see which is better for me.
Feeding in the rod seems to be the hardest thing to master but with only 20 minutes of experience, that would be expected.
I'm having fun and happy to have a welding table to work on. I have been using 2T so next will be to experiment with 4T using
the pedal.

I can see that welding on aluminum requires a little more attention to cleaning the metal and using acetone wipes and a
dedicated stainless steel brush. All in good time....:)

P1030097.JPGP1030101.JPGP1030100.JPG

Back