Welding Table For My Next Project

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
I have been planning to build a welding table. I want it to be portable but stable. I am thinking 2 wheels, just lift one end and the wheels kick in for easy movement. The dimensions= 30" X 36". I was hoping to add a copper plate for the top. Wow, I priced a 1/2" 30 X 30" plate it was $1,500. I down sized to 1/8 thickness and it was only $500.
At work we have 3 shop tables, they are all 72" by 24", each has a 1/2" copper top. We don't weld on them. I wonder if I ask my boss if he would mind if I cleaned up one of those tables and replaced the top with a more convenient metal top? :)
I am thinking thin wall 2x3" steel stock. Make the cuts on my band saw, dress the cuts and TIG weld the assembly.
Any plans on-line or do you know of a source for any ideas in this area? I would like to have a shelf for materials, something to hold all my welding accessories.
Thanks,
Jeff

At 1/2" plate, I'm not sure how movable it would be. :p

Mine is a cobbled together mess, but it does what I need. I put a plywood top on it and fastened some sheet metal to it, perhaps 16ga sheet.

go to millerwelds.com and look under resources. there are several welding tables

My first welding project was a table out of plans in a welding book from library. It works fine, but truth be told I use my HF mickey mouse welding table most the time because its so portable and folds up. My homebuilt table usually is buried in tools and the 3 ton arbor press. For $50 bucks the HF table has a lot going for it, its no gem but it might work for you.

Yeah but I was hoping to make a project out of it. Really HB for $50!!??
I'll check out Miller's tables, thanks

When I made mine many years ago I made it movable, stepping on bar makes the wheels come down and the t locks it down ,the legs lift off the floor, roll it where you want it step on the bar again pushing the t with your foot and it comes back down on the legs. Works good , I used tall lawnmower wheels , other end of bar hinges off frame
Not a great pic kinda messy
51456107-951C-41DB-ACA9-976B2CE43478.jpeg
Made a anvil stand with a similar design
1E8EA397-486F-4B88-A656-CFEFCD03F30E.jpeg994DB9DB-BA54-4898-948A-28D8926BC480.jpeg
The top is 1/4” plate with angle iron support’s under it , with a expanded steel shelf in the middle.
You can kinda see the table in the last pic

I made my welding table from scrap 2-inch tube I had lying around and 12-inch wide flat bar with a gap for clamping.

I used 10-inch castors and she rolls over anything even when loaded up. My workshops full of woodworking gear and wood dust so i do most of my welding outside.

It was actually my first time welding and what got me started with metalwork in general. :)

ScreenShot013.jpgIMG_4707.JPG

Good ideas here, and there is a lot to be said for simple. The Garage Journal forum has tons of examples. Here's one I threw together many moons ago, based on a heave equip. guard someone gave me. I have a bells and whistles one on my to-do list, but this one has worked for almost everything I've had to do. Mike

That's my boy working in the shorts, something I don't do. Then again nobody should be forced to look at my chicken legs.
0610160009.JPG

I used a u weld it type fab table, great for fixtures to hold things.

Back