Weldon Endmill Sharpener Spindles

Scra99tch

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I recently went to an auction and got a cabinet full of new grinding wheels. Along with that lot came all the furniture in the office plus filing cabinets. I ended up just leaving that stuff but curiosity got the best of me and I made sure to look in the filing cabinets. In the bottom drawer were four new rebuilt spindles for a weldon endmill sharpener. I am not sure what model they go to can anyone help out? They look exactly like the ones below.

Thanks

1571741138251.png

Nice haul. It looks exactly like the spindle on my model. Those grooves on the bushing align the spindle to the fixture bore. When I purchased mine it came with a 5c collet spindle and a Weldon end type spindle. The PO ground a groove in one of my spindles I don’t know why?? Are all four of your spindles the same? Would you like to part with one?
60A3C840-8353-4171-AA2D-11C093B0CC38.jpeg

Sure make an offer.

This was the unit they had at auction.

1571754758865.png

Actually looks like I could make a housing fairly easily and save one or two of them. Just need the grinder first though!

One question I have about mine is air spindle or not? Mine has a pipe coming off the housing that is threaded 1/8-27 pipe thread. I took the pipe off and their isn’t a hole going to the spindle bushing. So is it a air spindle or not? I’ve thought of drilling a hole or holes in the bushing to make a air spindle but haven’t yet. Curious if it would work. And having the groove in my spindle might defeat the purpose. Pm coming your way.

The sleeve itself has a groove cut in the center with a hole in the sleeve. That’s it.
From what I understand this is how it rides on air.

the fit is nice on the newer ones no doubt about it but easily looks like it can get fouled with dust if not sealed correctly.

The sleeves with the hole are air bearing, I had one that was not, I tried drilling a hole (with carbide drill) it did not work, I later measured one up and found that the air bearing sleeves have a slight taper inside, small at both ends; when the get worn, they do not work. I have a non air bearing unit that I would sell, that is missing the toot rest unit, but has both large and small spindles, as I also have another unit made by Harig that is more convenient to use.

Last edited:
I’d be curious to where the hole is located bottom, side, or maybe groovedon the back with holes around the diameter? My one spindle with the 5c has a groove cut down the length of it for some reason. Looks like they used a angle grinder with a cut off wheel in it. It’s not very deep but unexplainable. The fit is a nice slip fit. My other spindle which has its own bushing is pristine. It has multiple bushing for the business end.
I also have a yuasa brand one that the spindle rides on 6 contact points. It looks unused and in the box with all the bushings. I had just gotten the Weldon from a auction hoping it was a air spindle. It was very cheap no bids so it had to come home with me.

the hole is located in a circumfential vee slot in the center of the sleeve

Back