Well, I finally did it.

Baithog

Florida Machinist Group Moderator
Registered
I put the order in to Grizzly for a G0602 tonight. :)) I pick up the bench for it tomorrow.

This is gonna be real fun. The AXA tool post for it arrived last week. I thought that they sent me the wrong one when I took it out of the box. It was huge and heavy. The A2Z tool post on my 7X12 is a toy compared the the AXA. Yup, gonna be real fun getting the lathe off the floor and onto the bench.

Larry

WOW! Now that is exciting. Make sure we get to see it when it arrives.

Congratulations, wish you luck on the new lathe.

Paul

Congrats on the new lathe!

I just bought the variable speed version. It is still on the floor on the pallet...LOL

What are you using for a bench for it?

I am in the process of building a steel one for mine.
They look like a neat little rig to me.
TCG

Mine is in Ocala, which is about 30 minutes from here. It is supposed to be delivered Monday around noon. The tariff for residential delivery says they will drop it at the entrance to the garage or carport. That remains to be seen. Getting it up the drive from the street will be interesting if they drop it in the street like my kitchen cabinets were. At least the cabinets were intact. I had a 12X16 shed kit delivered to me in Arkansas. It was loaded wrong at the warehouse and too long to turn in the truck so that it would fit on the lift gate. The drivers solution was to work the pallet back to the door, then back up at 20 mph or so and hit the brakes. The crate shot out the back of the truck, crashed to the ground, and split, dumping lumber and hardware all over a major arterial at lunch hour. They then slammed the truck door closed and took off, leaving me, the neighbors, and angry motorists to get the carnage out of the roadway.

I don't weld, so steel framing is problematic. I tried welding years ago. I was pretty good at getting the rod stuck to the workpiece, the welder humming ominously and the lights dimming to indicate imminent breaker trip. I was planning to build a bench from wood. I had drawings purported to be from South Bend. Dang, woods gotten expensive. After looking at way too many stamped angle iron crap from overly optimistic makers, I found a decent bench at Sam's Club. It is made by Seville and is billed as an 'Ultra Heavy Duty Work Bench' with a rated capacity of #1000. One of the reviews of the bench had a G0602 and a Seig mill on his. At $200, I can't buy the material to build a bench like it. And to top it off, my rolling tool cabinets will fit under it. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086.ip?navAction=

Larry

That is a great looking bench. I googled several times and all I found was stuff that was twice the money or looked like it would fold up under any weight.

I am not welding mine, I am going to bolt mine together . I bought through my work some 3" x 3" x 3/16" angle .
I built my reloading bench out off the same stuff and it worked great for that so that is the route I am going.

I had my lathe come to my work so we unloaded with a forlift then brought it home in a pickup. I have a Kubota BX 24 tractor with a little bucket. It handled it just fine. Took it out of the back of the truck and set it in through the 3' door of my play house (reloading shed) and onto a couple of Harbor freight wooden dollies I bought for that purpose ( http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-39757.html ) Then just wheeled it in out of the way of the door......and there it sits.

I did take the top off the crate and the front off. I have been doing the spindle break in right there on the floor so when I get done with the stand it will be ready to go.

I did buy AXA Wedge Type Tool Post Set For Up to 12" Lathe from here for it.
http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

From the reading I have done lots of folks agree it is much better than shimming the cutters all the time..

Well, good luck with getting it in and lets us all know how it went....and photos are always great! LOL

TCG

Mine is in Ocala, which is about 30 minutes from here. It is supposed to be delivered Monday around noon. The tariff for residential delivery says they will drop it at the entrance to the garage or carport. That remains to be seen. Getting it up the drive from the street will be interesting if they drop it in the street like my kitchen cabinets were. At least the cabinets were intact. I had a 12X16 shed kit delivered to me in Arkansas. It was loaded wrong at the warehouse and too long to turn in the truck so that it would fit on the lift gate. The drivers solution was to work the pallet back to the door, then back up at 20 mph or so and hit the brakes. The crate shot out the back of the truck, crashed to the ground, and split, dumping lumber and hardware all over a major arterial at lunch hour. They then slammed the truck door closed and took off, leaving me, the neighbors, and angry motorists to get the carnage out of the roadway.

I don't weld, so steel framing is problematic. I tried welding years ago. I was pretty good at getting the rod stuck to the workpiece, the welder humming ominously and the lights dimming to indicate imminent breaker trip. I was planning to build a bench from wood. I had drawings purported to be from South Bend. Dang, woods gotten expensive. After looking at way too many stamped angle iron crap from overly optimistic makers, I found a decent bench at Sam's Club. It is made by Seville and is billed as an 'Ultra Heavy Duty Work Bench' with a rated capacity of #1000. One of the reviews of the bench had a G0602 and a Seig mill on his. At $200, I can't buy the material to build a bench like it. And to top it off, my rolling tool cabinets will fit under it. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ultra-heavy-duty-workbench/prod1490086.ip?navAction=

Larry

It arrived today. I am pleased with Grizzly's order processing and their use of UPS Freight. The lathe arrived with no forklift holes or smushed in sides and the driver handled it like I was some big name industrial account.

This is what I have now - 20140407_202300[1].jpg

And this is what comes next - 20140407_202426[2].jpg

I'll line up a garage crane tomorrow, but probably won't get it on the bench until after the granite guys finish on Thursday. I did have some fun to night cleaning the AXA tool holder and getting the old 7X12 ready to visit Craig's List.

Larry

20140407_202300[1].jpg 20140407_202426[2].jpg

Back