[4]

Well just bought a Sheldon TRB-S56

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

byrdman

Registered
I probably paid a little more than its worth considering the had it listed for 1300 and i offered him 900 and he took it, but I hope it is good. Bought site unseen just pictures. I'll share those, most probably saw them on Ebay already though. Looking for a manual but this site says I am not allowed to look at that section for some reason.

Last edited:

Robo_Pi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I'm currently looking at a Sheldon lathe myself at about the same price you paid. The one I'm looking at isn't as in nice as shape as your (at least as far as I can see). Those pictures are quite tiny so it's hard to see what your lathe is actually like.

Robo_Pi

Ok, I found the expired ad on eBay. They still have the full-size pictures up. Looks pretty darn good to me. I think you got a good deal personally. Especially if you like the older equipment like I do. I certainly wouldn't have hesitated to pick that lathe up at the price if it was close to me. I see you get two large chucks with it. That's nice when you get both the 3-jaw and 4-jaw. Those chucks look to be in pretty nice condition to.

In fact, the whole lathe looks to me to be in pretty good shape. No obvious nicks in the chucks or table. So it doesn't look like it's been crashed up. It appears to be in pretty good condition. The lead screw looks good too. I mean, these are just photos, but still. I've seen lathes in photos where you could see nicks and bangs that simply aren't there on yours. It looks like it was taken pretty good care of.

The ad says that it hasn't been run in 20 years. That's actually good. That means that it wasn't being worn down or abused for 20 years. :grin:

I think you got a good lathe there.

byrdman

Registered
Thanks, I think it has a collet locker? on the back as well. Thats what I was thinking about the 20yr thing. Unless it was rode hard and put up wet for 53yrs or so before hand that is.

Robo_Pi

Managed to get them resized take a look now.
Yeah, it looks great!

On the eBay site I was even able to zoom in for more detail on their photos. I think it looks real good. I can't see any obvious signs of abuse or serious wear.

Make sure you oil everything up really good before running it though. Don't want to burn up dry bearings that have been sitting around for 20 years without turning.

If it were me I'd take it apart as far as I feel comfortable doing and make sure everything is well cleaned and oiled before trying to run it for any extended period of time.

That's a nice lathe. I think you got a good deal barring any unseen surprises. Just make sure to lubricate everything and you should be fine.

Robo_Pi

Thanks, I think it has a collet locker? on the back as well.
Yep, that's what that is. Probably for 5C collets. That's a nice touch. I'm jealous. :grin:

Robo_Pi

The only thing I'd change on that lathe right away (before I got used to it being where it is) is the placement of the on/off switch. It might seem to be convenient were it's located on the front of the lathe under the table, but my thinking is that it's far too easy to bump it accidentally turning on the lathe when you didn't mean to turn it on.

I'd take that off and move it so that it's up above the headstock or somewhere it isn't likely to be accidentally bumped on. And I'd do it right away before I got used to it where it is.

That's just what I would do personally. It's just a safety consideration. Where it's located right now my dog could switch it on by accident.

Robo_Pi

Thanks! Another question, what QCTP should I get an AXA or BXA?
I don't even know the difference. :grin:

I just jumped on your post because I happen to be looking at and reading about Sheldon lathes myself lately. From what I've read Sheldon lathes are pretty nice machines.

byrdman

Registered
Yeah that switch is probably about ball high too. I was thinking the same thing about over the headstock.

Robo_Pi

The gears in the headstock look to be in really good condition too. I'll bet that lathe was hardly ever used. I think you really lucked out on this one.

Last edited:

Nogoingback

Thanks! Another question, what QCTP should I get an AXA or BXA?

The correct way to determine that is to measure from the top of the compound to the centerline of the spindle, and
compare that measurement to tool post manufacturers recommendations.

Shars online catalog indicates that AXA tool posts are suitable for that dimension to be .6 to 1.75", and BXA for a range
of .7 to 2.2". Other manufacturers will indicate a range of swing sizes, though that is less accurate. The other consideration
is that AXA and BXA toolholders can accommodate different size tools.

It looks though your swing is 11", so I'm guessing you'll need an AXA, but you should take the measurement and check.

Robo_Pi

Judging by the photos I would think it would be extremely simple. Potentially just four or five bolts. Two at the base of the tail end of the bed and two (or possibly three) at the base of the headstock. Of course you'd need to remove the power belts too. And then you couldn't run it on a bench since the motor would still be in the base cabinet.

The hard part is lifting the lathe up so you can pull the cabinet out from under it. Do you have a way to lift the lathe?

Why are you doing this? Do you want to clean and paint the cabinet?

As long as you have a dependable method to lift the lathe off the cabinet it should be easy to remove. If it were me I'd remove the tailstock and carriage and lead screw first. Then you can clean up and paint the lathe itself too.

I can't imagine this lathe needing to be rebuilt other than for cosmetic purposes and paint. So I personally wouldn't take anything more apart than I actually needed to. But removing the carriage and leadscrew shouldn't be a big deal. It's probably best to have the leadscrew out of the way if you're going to be lifting up the bed anyway. Just be sure not to twist the bed when lifting. Make sure everything is well balanced and all your straps or chains are secure and aren't going to shift position during the lift. Don't just assume that they'll stay where you had originally placed them. Make sure they are anchored in place so they can't move.

I'm assuming you'll also be removing the chuck before you lift it. Take as much weight off the headstock as possible. Any access doors, etc.

Finally, make sure you have it attached to your crane or chain hoists in a way that assures the headstock is supported. Otherwise it will have a tendency to want to flip over. And you certainly don't want that to happen.

byrdman

Registered
Sorry the taking apart is to move it in the bed of my truck. I have a trailer but I have to drive a little over 1000 their and back in a day! don't really want to pull trailer if I don't have to CG and all.

Robo_Pi

It won't fit in the truck whole?

My thoughts on this (and trust me I have no idea what I'm talking about). If the bed of the truck is long enough what I would do is first remove that heavy chuck from the lathe. Remove the tailstock. Run the table up as close to the head stock as it will go and lock it down. If you do leave the tailstock on the lathe also run it up as close to the headstock as possible too and lock it down as well.

Then put the lathe on the truck with the headstock to the front of the bed so that all the weight is just behind the cab in the center of the truck.

Then strap it to the corners of the bed so it can't fall over.

I'm not sure I understand what's to be gained by removing the lathe from the cabinet? How are you going to fit both pieces in the bed of the truck? Would they fit side-by-side? Is so you could certainly do that way.

The lathe should detach from the cabinet quite easily.

In any case, whatever you do best of luck!

Another quick suggestion just cause I thought of it. You could drive down without a trailer, and then get a U-haul trailer for the return trip. That way you would only need to tow the trailer one-way.

Anyway, good luck with the move!

If it's close to my house I'll go pick it up for you. But then you might have a hard time getting it back from me. :grin:

That's once nice lathe I think. I like those older models. That's back when they made things for real. It's worth driving 1000 miles to pick it up IMHO.

lordbeezer

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
My 11" KQ model Sheldon uses a axa..I think you have a nice lathe..you can separate without a lot of work but I would move as is if you have the means..trailer might be easier to load and unload.it is somewhat heavy for its size and VERY top heavy..you're not to far from me.i'm in wake forest.good luck.be safe.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Looking for a manual but this site says I am not allowed to look at that section for some reason.
byrdman.

I'm not particularly familian with Sheldon lathes. And although I run Downloads most of the time, I don't know whether there is anything there on the 11" KQ or not. But in any case, the Downloads section costs us several hundred dollars per month, mostly for storage fees. Consequently it is restricted to Donors. There are several Donor levels, depending upon payment amount. The minimum fee (which gets you access to Downloads) is $10.00 per year.

Robo_Pi

byrdman.

I'm not particularly familian with Sheldon lathes. And although I run Downloads most of the time, I don't know whether there is anything there on the 11" KQ or not. But in any case, the Downloads section costs us several hundred dollars per month, mostly for storage fees. Consequently it is restricted to Donors. There are several Donor levels, depending upon payment amount. The minimum fee (which gets you access to Downloads) is $10.00 per year.
Where is the download section? I'd like to download a manual for a Sheldon Sebastian B-6 lathe if you have one.

UPDATE: Never mind, I found the manual and downloaded it. And it's the right one for my model too. I've been looking all over the Internet for this manual and it was here the whole time and I didn't even know it.

Last edited:

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
First read the brief usage instructions in the sticky area of this and a few other Fora. Then to access it, simply click on Downloads in the main toolbar above. I can't recall whether there is anything there on the B-6 or not. One additional comment on using it that I may not have emphasized in the instructions - unfortunately the Xenforo Resources module that we adapted and turned into Downloads has no file sort capability whatsoever. So files appear in reverse order of their add date. Not the most convenient situation by any means. You will just have to scroll down the listing reading the titles.

Robo_Pi

I can't recall whether there is anything there on the B-6 or not.
I found it. It wasn't listed as a B-6. It's just listed as Sheldon Sebastian lathes 13" to 15". But after downloading it I can see it's the correct model that I was looking for.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
OK. Should I update the title? Is that the only model that the file covers? Keep in mind that I have no familiarty with what's important with Sheldon manuals.

Robo_Pi

OK. Should I update the title? Is that the only model that the file covers? Keep in mind that I have no familiarty with what's important with Sheldon manuals.
The title is probably good. I imagine it covers a lot of different model numbers. I'm not an expert on Sheldon lathes. I just happen to be interested in them. I was having a hard time trying to find the exact model I'm looking at. Everything I found was dramatically different. But the manual you had in your downloads just happens to be exactly the one I'm looking at. I don't even own this lathe yet, and may not even get it. But I wanted to look over the exploded views in the manual first so I could see how it's built. That way I'll know better what I'm getting into.

Just for the record. The Sebasitian model I'm looking at appears to be easy to work on and repair based on the exploded views in the manual. So this helped a lot. Plus if I do end up buying this lathe I'll now have the manual for it. So this is good. I didn't even know that downloads section was there. Thanks to this thread it was brought to my attention by Byrdman. His Sheldon lathe is quite different though. I didn't see the manual for his lathe. It could be there, I just didn't see it in a quick search for Sheldon Lathes.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
OK. We have very little on Sheldon lathes. Several years ago, I bought a CD off of eBay that had several hundred mostly machine tool manuals. The only Sheldon manual was on a 5C collet closer!

Robo_Pi

The lathe I was looking at it sold today. So I missed out on it. Although to be honest it wasn't in the greatest shape, so no problem there. I still enjoy learning about the different lathes. I did like the model I was looking at so if I run across one like it again at some point I'll be that much more prepared to know what I'm dealing with. I really liked the design. It's a nice lathe. I like the one Byrdman just bought too. In fact, the one he got is in far better condition. Different model, but far better condition. I'm jealous. :grin:

I'll find a good lathe eventually. I'm in no hurry.

But yeah, Byrdman, you got a good deal there. At least IMHO. Congrats on that find!

lordbeezer

There's a army manual for 10"Shelton's that I have goggled several times.lots of info will cross over to op Sheldon

byrdman

Registered
wa5cab Thanks for that info.
Robo_Pi Thanks I appreciate it.
lordbeezer Thanks for that.

Here is a picture of it in the bed of the truck, I left the Raleigh area at about 1:30am (went to bed at 10pm woke up at 12:12am couldn't go back to sleep so said screw it) got home at 9pm. But it is here. Truck is nasty.

Attachments

lordbeezer

Good job.now the fun begins stay away from leadscrew while unloading

Robo_Pi

You did everything I told you not to do. :grin:

You left the big heavy chuck on it. And you put it on the truck backwards with all the weight to the rear of the truck.

Fortunately it's no big deal, and my advice was overkill. It actually looks smaller on the truck than I thought it was. That's only a 6 foot bed too huh?

That's actually a very nice size lathe for hobby work. The one I was looking at was probably twice that size.

Anyway, glad to see you were able to get it on the truck in one piece and not have to take it apart. That's great.

Funny, now that I realize it's smaller than I had originally thought I actually like it even better. :grin:

[6]
[5] [7]