Well, this dosen't look safe!

Finster

Registered
Registered
Side loading a grinding wheel? Bad stuff can happen when you do this. These types of wheels are not designed to be side loaded and here is a tool that is designed to do just that! I found this when I was looking for a cheaper alternative to a drill doctor 750X
Woodstock-D4144-Drill-Sharpener-New-_57.jpg

I wonder if anyone had had a wheel shatter using this device? Looks like a lawsuit in the making to me.

I must admit to using that setup quite a lot, on a 6 x 1" bench grinder. I still use it, rarely since I got the Drill Doctor 750x. There are very light side loads on the wheel while grinding the bit, if you are doing it correctly. A crash might be catastrophic, but there is no reason to ever have one if you are paying attention. The drill jig mount is also flexible enough to give if there is an accidental heavy feed. I have ground hundreds of drills that way, with very good results (after the learning curve.) I used it enough to kill the bearings on the grinder from side loading them, and I have replaced them. (I have also done heavy hogging on that belt drive grinder.) That is the worst I can say about it. The good news with my setup is that I stand completely to the side of the grinder, away from direct hits if it should let go. The wheel I use is only slightly worn from the hundreds of drills ground with it.

Used one for years. Never had an issue and it is only sweeping past and does not dig in like from the front with a large gap tool holder will.
Pierre

Looks like it may work well and be safe with a carbide grinder if you could make it fit. I'm going to stick with the drill doctor 750X I suppose.

Those things do get "trashed" here quite regularly by the higher-end machinists.

However I just got one recently, and it works great!
I got it after a bunch of investigation. (I'll post a link if I can find it to a review of Drill Doctor vs. this type of sharpener)
The Drill Doctor was just not in the budget, and I believe this will serve me well.

The only problem I have is that I moved the sharpener base before measuring/marking the location after I found the "sweet spot". Now I need to go thru the "calibration" process again.....

Putting on my flame suit!
-brino

I'm sure they work well. I do not doubt that. I also believe that the chances of a wheel exploding is slim when this is used correctly. My point here is that, personally, I'm not going to take the risk. I saw a wheel explode in a shop once. Messed the guy up pretty bad, he had shrapnel in his legs, stomach and lost two fingers. It was from side loading also. If a wheel does explode, chances are that you're not getting out of it without injury. Just not worth all of that for a sharp drill bit in my mind. To each his own though.

Putting on my flame suit!

-brino

Why, Brino? These drill sharpeners have been around forever and they have worked ever since. Nothing wrong with them if they do the job for you. I know we're told not to side load grinding wheels but I haven't heard of a wheel exploding due to side grinding drills. I have personally had a grinding wheel explode on me while grinding at the front.

Lot of guys have used the side of the wheel for sharpening. The Brits do it and documented their fine jigs for this very purpose. I think if you are careful not to shock the wheel or take super-heavy cuts, it should be fine.

I'm sure that most of us know about wheel side loading and have used the side of the wheels many many times without any problems. As long as common sense is used and only light loads are applied I've never seen or heard about any problems during the last 50 years of my engineering carreer .

Lot of guys have used the side of the wheel for sharpening. The Brits do it and documented their fine jigs for this very purpose. I think if you are careful not to shock the wheel or take super-heavy cuts, it should be fine.

Oh hey, I agree completely!
I use it and like it.

It's just this topic usually brings out the folks that say it's a death trap and will never be an acceptable way to use a grinder.

The "flame suit" comment is a perhaps a little in jest........I know this site would not put up with real abuse.

-brino

Back