Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Back in Orlando… shaft arrived. Keys are opposite of each other…

0689AB0A-A4A7-4D58-B1FE-1CC7EECD871D.jpeg

Not much done... I did bring the shaft extension with me to clean the threads... the first two were giving issues. Ran a die and got it all clean and working fine.

Now installed on the shaft and ready to go. Will see if I can finally tackle this next week...

IMG_7736.jpeg
IMG_7737.jpeg
IMG_7739.jpeg

shaft extension
I'm probably forgetting something but have we discussed this extension previously or is that something you added for the powerfeed? If it is, how does it keep from unscrewing? I can't quite make out what the end opposite of the threads looks like from these pics or how it would engage. Maybe it's just for support and for extending a location to screw to and hold the assembly in place?

Also, I assume since there's no extended portion that the manual handle could ride on, you decided against having a 'manual' option or is that extension piece serving both purposes?
1662056861144.png

I'm probably forgetting something but have we discussed this extension previously or is that something you added for the powerfeed? If it is, how does it keep from unscrewing? I can't quite make out what the end opposite of the threads looks like from these pics or how it would engage. Maybe it's just for support and for extending a location to screw to and hold the assembly in place?

Also, I assume since there's no extended portion that the manual handle could ride on, you decided against having a 'manual' option or is that extension piece serving both purposes?
View attachment 418983
The extension is to be able to use the handle. It came with the powerfeed kit. The extension is not installed in that photo you have there.

I want to be able to use the handle as well... so the extension will be installed once I replace the shaft.

All this needs to be secured with roll pins. I have not installed any because I knew all this was coming out at some point. So yes, that extension, once installed, is secured with a roll pin...

Makes sense?

Last edited:
Servo Products - Servo 140 Z Axis Knee Power Feed for Wells Index 847 - M-0980-140 (QNMTP27610)
Jamie, I acquired a Servo 150 that had been on a Bridgeport. From what I can tell, the major difference between it and one that would fit a Wells is in the depth and diameter of the top. I think this is primarily due to the (i'll call them oversized) dials on a Wells. I'm still gonna try and retrofit this one that I got to my knee but it may prove to be impossible ultimately.

Could I as you a favor? Can you shoot me this dimension from yours from this screenshot? And maybe if you can give me the dimension of the extension that came with it as well. I'm probably gonna CAD this up so I can visualize what it would take for me to retrofit the one I have. I'll share if I'm successful.
1662741822834.png

As you can see on mine, the bevel gear inner bore fits the shaft but the outer diameter isn't compatible with the rest of my hardware. I assume the bevel gear on yours has different geometry than the one pictured below?? If you have a picture, I would love to see it if you don't mind.

IMG_3869.jpegIMG_3870.jpegIMG_3867.jpeg

I am in Orlando at the moment… if not urgent, I can take it all apart and measure…. I should be back in Ocala next Friday.

I need to take it all apart anyway, to replace the shaft.

Old photo… so you want me to measure the depth of the cover piece…
D507007A-4057-460C-8732-97EDEBD37F52.jpeg

Yes, if you don't mind. And if it's not too much hassle, I would love to see a pic of the other side of that bevel gear. It looks way shorter than the one I have. Just curious to see how it interfaces with this piece.

1662774369285.png

Yes, if you don't mind. And if it's not too much hassle, I would love to see a pic of the other side of that bevel gear. It looks way shorter than the one I have. Just curious to see how it interfaces with this piece.

View attachment 419939
That part in your photo is the one I had to modify. I bored that out so it would fit on the beveled gear….
4D27AC9E-2D1A-4096-88A7-AA4A2CBC697C.jpeg
2D35C485-92FD-48CD-8CC5-323F01E5436B.jpeg
F95435E5-96C5-47E1-A1FB-3F51109F1C36.jpeg

ah ha!! That's what I needed to understand. And these pics actually tell me the rest of the story that I was missing. This piece is what gives the top of the motor housing the right larger diameter and depth to match the oversized dial on the Wells. I'll be fabricating one of these out of a piece of Delrin I have that closely matches the diameter of the dial.

1662778265019.png

Thanks again.

I will get you measurements and more photos when I get to Ocala…

0F70F622-7CE7-4992-BA30-7D6DC1A18464.jpeg

3649F477-5A50-4704-8EDB-E0A24DAB81DB.jpeg
B4FCC20F-0979-469E-A829-BD091A66015C.jpeg

Back