Went Shopping....what Did I Buy??

Rodney Young

Registered
Registered
Hey All,
Went to buy a couple of adjustable tail stocks that I ws hoping I could use on my Atlas mill. When I got there the guy had all kinds of "stuff". I ended up as usual buying things that looked cool even though I had no idea what they were! Most of the items are wel used/ dirty/light rust but not anything I can't deal with. Have a few pics though of what is this thing??
IMG_20160411_142242.jpg IMG_20160411_141743.jpg IMG_20160411_141635.jpg IMG_20160411_141622.jpg IMG_20160411_142044.jpg IMG_20160411_141714.jpg
Not sure what I got in pics 2,3 ,4 and a few other misc parts!? (some items too big for my poor litlle mill but some may be adaptable which is cool as I like to play!)
Rodney

2, 2, and 4 look like tooling for a turret lathe or an automatic screw machine, guessing a bit...

What are the two stepped plates in the last pic?

2, 2, and 4 look like tooling for a turret lathe or an automatic screw machine, guessing a bit...

What are the two stepped plates in the last pic?

I'm wondering if they aren't hold downs? Typically used in shaper work for holding thin pieces to the table. Starrett makes #54's I believe, although these are not them. I covet a set although haven't sprung for any yet.

-frank

I'm wondering if they aren't hold downs? Typically used in shaper work for holding thin pieces to the table. Starrett makes #54's I believe, although these are not them. I covet a set although haven't sprung for any yet.

-frank
Oh, OK. I have some of the Starrett hold downs for flat work. Why would you want four steps? Are they at different heights?

Oh, OK. I have some of the Starrett hold downs for flat work. Why would you want four steps? Are they at different heights?
No idea, but they just look so similar to that shape. These ones are pretty big though.

-frank

Pic 3 and 4 is called Box tools. They are used in screw machines and turret lathe as Bob said.

The plates appear to be mirror images of each other the stepped side on each one has a few marks where you can see the cutter found its mark so I'm guessing they are/ were used with the stepped side up.
Rodney

Picture 5 is a tail stock for a rotary table or dividing head. Looks like you have 2 of them.

Back