We're gonna need a new one in the morning !

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Just came off a call where the motor on an extrusion line wouldn't start . Called the electrician , he went into the cabinet and the motor burst into flames ! o_O I hate being the morning messenger . :rolleyes:

Baldor/Reliance 5HP Vector Drive motor . Can't find a price on them except on Ebay , but we sure go thru alot of motors !

That's unusual in a plant. We went through very few motors when I worked in a manufacturing plant that ran 24\7. Most failures were on start up after a shut down.

Motor burst into flames *after* the cabinet was opened? Sounds like oxygen in the air rushed in like opening the kitchen oven after leaving it on for too long. Don't ask how I know that haha.

I've never seen a place that goes thru motors like here . There's 4 more trashed sitting on a cart from just this week . Very few gearboxes go bad :dunno:

Wrong size???

Poor motors, their feelings probably got hurt so they respond by blowing up

A) either the motor is too small (HP)
B) the motor is improperly mounted (high lateral or longitudinal forces on output bearing)
C) Insufficient Cooling
D) physically too small to cool in its given environment.

The fan on the motor ended up shorting out causing a spark and lighting the polymer on fire that was inside the motor and fan casing . I was told the motor was still good before leaving work this morning . Unfortunately , no one is responsible for housekeeping / clean up thus is why we have these incidents . This happened on the line that completely burned up 3 months ago setting the sprinkler system off and costing the company approx. $400,000.

If you are going through a lot of motors, try having the electrician or power company check your line voltage. When I was repairing an electronic organ at one home, the voltages on the amplifier seemed awfully high because it was running so hot. Checked the line voltage, it was almost 180 volts instead of 120. I asked the lady of the house if she has been having problems with her other appliances, She said yes, they had to keep replacing burners on her range. Told her to call the power company. They moved the tap on the pole transformer. Two weeks later, I got a nice check in the mail. I called the lady and asked what the check was for since she already paid me earlier. She told me that I had repaired everything electrical in her house, keep it. Anyway, it's worth a shot.

Back