Westinghouse Type CU electrically-reversible single phase full repulsion motor

zuhnc

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The motor has fried on my South Bend lathe. I need some rewinding information: number of coils, coil connection, lead-out connections, any type of diagram a real motor rewinder could use to strip and rewind this motor back to factory condition. This is NOT a repulsion-induction motor, capacitor-start motor, or any of the other common type of motor. It is also NOT a three-phase motor, as might be surmised from the connection diagram. Single-phase only - uses only two of the three windings show for running. T-1 is always connected to L-1 (hot), and EITHER T-2 or T-3 is connected through a drum switch to neutral for reversing the motor. Very few motor rewind shops still in existence :-(. With proper information I can rewind this myself; I have successfully rewound a 6KW generator stator. The motor and lathe were assembled in 1936. zuhnc
20180818_215653.jpg20180818_215954.jpg20180818_220526.jpg

Wow, that's quite an ambitious project. If you cannot find the rewind info, would it be possible to carefully unwind the motor and note the winding requirements?

it appears to wire up like a 3 phase star wound motor by the second picture.
it may be in your best interest to replace the motor with the modern equivalent
you'll spend a lot of time attempting to rewind the motor, due to lack of information, and still may be unsuccessful.

i don't wish to discourage you, but if you haven't ever rewound a motor, this may not be the motor to try for the first timer

new single and three phase motors in the 1/2 hp range can be down right cheap on Ebay
i'd seriously contemplate replacement as a more cost effective means of powering your lathe

your lathe is not new, it will not affect the value of your lathe,
but it may drop the original cool factor one point ;)

This would be the second stator rewind; 6KW generator was the first. I have the coil layout, wire size and number of turns. Unfortunately, some of the coil interconnections are history, so I cannot determine with any certainty exactly how they are connected. I do know it is a six pole motor, thereby giving about 1200 rpm. I do know the T-1 leg to the star connection is composed of 6 groups of two coils each, and each of the other legs is composed of 6 groups of three coils each. It is a 48 slot stator. Each group of two or three coils is continuous. What I don't know is exactly where each of those group ends connect to a like group to give the proper operation. How they are connected determines where the second and third legs are magnetically in relation to the "main or common" winding (T-1/T-7 and T-4/T-10), to give proper direction. I know the second and third windings have to be about 90* from the main winding. I am not knowledgeable enough to know where the second and third windings are connected to give desired operation. Yes, I do have a 1.5HP three phase motor I can use in this application; I think it is 3450, instead of 1725. That would require a very small pulley to give the equivalent of 1200 RPM. No VFD, but I do have a rotary phase converter, so all is not lost:). This is not a high priority project, as I am disassembling and crating my lathe and mill in order to move them to Missouri in the spring. Harder for the movers to break or loose parts if crated. I will keep posting as the project moves forward. Thanks for all the suggestions and looking forward to more input from all more knowledgeable than me on the rewind issues. zuhnc

Back