wet carpet cutting tool

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
I attempted to make a tool to cut wet nasty carpet out of flooded homes. It worked a little but tents to clogged with fibers.

I am sure this could be much improved, I am looking for something quick and simple as I want to make several.

IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0761.JPG IMG_0762.JPG

You have the right idea, but it needs to be one piece, i'll advice make one from a leaf spring or an old wood saw blade, i'll attach a picture of a good design.
ffa.jpg

+1 the knife needs to be one solid piece. Either welded in, or made in. Yea, a pain to sharpen but a good file or stone will do that. Think if something like the sickle in the horror movies. Sharp tip, and a long curved cutting bade. And they can be very sharp.

brino I can see that, but the hook on the opposite side to pull the carpet up with. This way you can pull it up a little cut into chunks and pull them out of the way without having to get down in the muck

aaaa.jpg

How about something that holds the hook style utility knife blades?

If you grind a thin slot into the hook on your tool, so that the end of your blade fits into the slot, it should prevent the jamming you are getting. Then the blade is still replaceable as you have designed.

If the carpet is really old, get a cut started and pull! Should rip into strips making it easy for removal, even soaking wet.

+1 on the hook style utility knife blades, they cut carpet like butter and stay pretty sharp. You can even resharpen the blades with a small cylindrical stone, saves having to change them as often.

Back