What am I doing wrong? Newbie and a 4X6 saw

One thing the OP didn't mention is where the break is happening. At the weld or elsewhere?

Some broke at the welds, the one yesterday that broke was about 4" from the weld. But I know why my last one broke, if you see my post above.

Wow, thanks everyone for the help! I have been using blades from a few different places and the last blade I had in my saw lasted the longest but of course seeing as I bought them from different places I can't remember were I bought the one I had in the saw! :rolleyes: I broke that one yesterday but I know why now thanks to the forum. The guide bearings for it was too tight and kinda rolled the top edge of the blade over and jammed in a cut then snapped off when I shut the saw off and tried to lift it out of the cut. This time when I put the new blade on, I at least remembered where I bought the new blade so we will see how long this one lasts for...
You shouldn't have to adjust the guide bearings unless you change blade thickness. I've never touched mine since I bought the saw new. If you have to loosen them to get the blade out, they're too tight.

You shouldn't have to adjust the guide bearings unless you change blade thickness. I've never touched mine since I bought the saw new. If you have to loosen them to get the blade out, they're too tight.
The last blade that I changed I had to loosen the bearings to get it out. I don't know why because the blade slipped in no problem when I put it in. I guess it must of got bumped somehow. With 2 kids in this house stranger things have happened!

Well yesterday I dug a little more into this saw, and with the write up posted earlier by Mikey I found out the one guide bearing was way out to lunch. It was about 1/8" to the side and it was "pulling" the blade to the inside. I got it lined up much better now, also adjusted the guide bearings looser on the sides of the blade. I just need to cut something now to try it out.

You actually want some clearance between the blade and one of your guide bearings. If you don't, metal swarf that's stuck to the blade will come around and momentarily exert a lot of force on the bearings, eventually causing them to fail. Two guide bearings have to be in contact with the blade because it has to be turned 90 degrees once it exits the wheels. Call them the "inside" bearings. So the "outside" bearings need to be adjusted for a little clearance. Read the manual for what's recommended.

FYI, there are user groups dedicated exclusively to 4x6 bandsaws. I won't mention any by name, just do an online search and you will quickly find even more expertise on the little things. Along with a lot of improvements you can do, if you want.

Wow, thanks everyone for the help! I have been using blades from a few different places and the last blade I had in my saw lasted the longest but of course seeing as I bought them from different places I can't remember were I bought the one I had in the saw! :rolleyes: I broke that one yesterday but I know why now thanks to the forum. The guide bearings for it was too tight and kinda rolled the top edge of the blade over and jammed in a cut then snapped off when I shut the saw off and tried to lift it out of the cut. This time when I put the new blade on, I at least remembered where I bought the new blade so we will see how long this one lasts for...

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I had a similar problem where the guide bearing were locking up and causing blades to break or pop off. Here are my recommendations;

1. Most 4x6 Asianium saws use a 64.5" x 0.025" blades. Check your blade thickness before you buy.
  2. Check guide bearings for binding. They should be smooth running and shouldn't feel like they have grit inside.
  3. The outermost guide bearing shafts should be eccentric for adjustment.
    1. Make sure they are the outer most (farthest away from the pulleys or vise).
    2. Make sure that you adjust them round so they will kick out if jammed based on the direction of the blade. IOW if there is a jam they will not get tighter and bind against the blade.
    3. Adjust them to 0.027" to 0.030" width.
I replaced my bearings with a set of these: Penguin Bearings. Price was right at $8 for a box of 10 (You need 6). I bought 2 boxes (that's 3 sets). They were well packaged and seem to perform just fine. Time will tell how long they wear.

Replacing the bearings and adjusting the guides fixed the problem for me. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

Last edited:
Back