What are the actual spindle speeds

...snip

I should be able to just calculate the speeds as a percentage based on my motor RPM.

...snip

Get yourself one of these, ~$15 shipped from Amazon:

Digital Photo Laser Tachometer Non Contact Tach
http://www.amazon.com/CyberTech-Digital-Tachometer-Contact-bundle/dp/B001N4QY66

You could use "digital tachometer" for a search term there at Amazon or Google for others. Point is... they are actually pretty darn accurate, just apply a small strip of the supplied reflector tape to the edge of the spindle pulley. Lotsa other uses too... :)

I couldn't believe it I pulled the key out with my fingers took the pulley off and turned it around and taped th key back in aga in about 20 seconds. I need to take my time to adjust the belt tension again. I'm not even sure if the same belt will still fit. This may be the reason the pulley was put on backwards in the first place. (to make a belt that was lying around fit)

While we are on the subject (or off subject) the large pulley on the counter shaft seems to have about 10 degrees of free play which I guess means the key is damaged. The grease cap comes off easily. Any special instructions to remove this pulley and access the shaft and key?

Are you meaning the stepped pulley? If so be aware that the keyway can wear sideways in the pulley and trap the key in the recess, pulling it off may not work and cunning needs to be applied.

Bernard

I figured out the pulley free play problem.
The problem is with the large pulley on the counter shaft (the two step pulley and not the one on the motor shaft)
It is the one closest in the attached picutre above. After I took a carefull look at it I can see it is held on by a grub screw.
I removed the grub screw and then removed the pulley. There is no damage to the shaft.

All reassembeled no problem and the free play is now gone.
I adjusted the motor to tension the belt and it now fits correctly in both positions.

So all in all a happy ending!

BTW I think I'll invest the $10 on one of those laser RPM devices.

I thought I had better post the answer.
here are the calculated speeds (based on 82% motor speed)

Back Gear In
1. 2. 3. 4
A. 23 37 57 92
B. 68 110 173 283

Back Gear Out
1. 2. 3. 4
A. 134 218 342 560
B. 410 660 1041 1700

David

Back