What are the keyways on the back of my die holder for?

dbb-the-bruce

Dave
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was using one of my die holders today and realized the back of it is not like the other simple one I have:

What the heck are these keyways for ?

-Dave

I'm going to guess there are some parts missing. I think its for centering fingers to help get a straight thread. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

Once You try to thread a rod with the guide closed You will figure out why they are not there. Don't ask, heard it from a friend maybe............

The guides go on the rod first, so install your die so the side you can see says "start from other side".
Put on rod and adjust the guides tight on the rod and thread your rod.
I also never found them that helpful.

Between those guides and the tailstock pushing the backside of the die holder square you'll have half a chance of a "straight/square" thread.
For nice straight threads use the lathe and cut them, or atleast cut a few passes so the die will then follow straight.

On a quality die holder the guide works quite well. On imports not so much.

I was using one of my die holders today and realized the back of it is not like the other simple one I have:

View attachment 293143
View attachment 293144

What the heck are these keyways for ?

-Dave
Exactly what they are; keyways to align stock with centerline of die with guide fingers, otherwise drunken threads. Rare for industrial die holders, they are supposed to know how to run a die straight. The casual user is, well casual. Now a-days they are just a thin goofy stamping with cam slots.
You really have to wonder when a seller has them on a re-threading [solid dies] set. . .

Back