What are the rules/regulations if any ????

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Are there any rules or regulations for a private seller to sell an old hunting rifle to a private buyer ? TIA .

Sale or exchange between two guys is a "private transfer" and is outside the purview of the BATF.
But because nothing is simple or straightforward with the Feds, if you do a LOT of 'private transfers' they'll look into it, not for the transfers but for the "transferring". Lawyer-speak.
Because shipping engages Intestate Commerce, the Feds are all over that, too.
But driving across a state line is not "shipping", nor does it use a common carrier.
Every state has something to say about it. Some have a lot to say; some have nearly nothing to say. Some say it in a very complex way; some in a simple way. Almost all of them operate under the pretense of "if you nudge the bear, you'll regret it."

As a completely hypothetical example, if you have a handgun in NY and you sell/give to someone, even family, in TX, then TX will have nothing to say about it. They don't know or care. But NY will be all over you - they'll need a full workup (nearly a mortgage application) on who is *receiving* this piece. The fact it's leaving and will be beyond their reach is immaterial. And you'll get in plenty of hot water if you don't.
OTOH, if you're in OK and drive to TX with your shooter, then it's no more of a legal entanglement than selling a belt or sweater. OK doesn't know you have it and TX doesn't wanna know. But that's between two guys. FFL transfers are the same everywhere.

Are long guns registered there in MD? My guess is yes, but I dunno. If so, you will have to account for that registration to the state and "I sold it" ain't gonna cut it, probably.
And if you wanna sell it to someone in, say, MA, you got a LOAD of paperwork to do - and with paperwork always come fees.
So there's no right answer to your question without a lot more info.

How old is it. If made before January 1, 1898 it is an antique and not considered to be a firearm. That said some states will still be all over you if you transfer it to another person. Like posted above it all depends on the laws of your state. Most violations of gun laws are considered to be felonies. If you screw this up you could possibly loose your rights to own firearms and they will take all of your guns away from you. I would check with a local gun shop before you do anything.

As a gun show fanatic in an oppressive , overreaching , 2nd hating state, i jumped through more hoops than circus animals
I hope you have a better experience

Sale or exchange between two guys is a "private transfer" and is outside the purview of the BATF.
Only if both live in the same State. Long guns only.
But because nothing is simple or straightforward with the Feds, if you do a LOT of 'private transfers' they'll look into it, not for the transfers but for the "transferring". Lawyer-speak.
Because shipping engages Intestate Commerce, the Feds are all over that, too.
But driving across a state line is not "shipping", nor does it use a common carrier.
Federal law regulates interstate transfers, not intrastate.
Every state has something to say about it. Some have a lot to say; some have nearly nothing to say. Some say it in a very complex way; some in a simple way. Almost all of them operate under the pretense of "if you nudge the bear, you'll regret it."

As a completely hypothetical example, if you have a handgun in NY and you sell/give to someone, even family, in TX, then TX will have nothing to say about it. They don't know or care. But NY will be all over you - they'll need a full workup (nearly a mortgage application) on who is *receiving* this piece. The fact it's leaving and will be beyond their reach is immaterial. And you'll get in plenty of hot water if you don't.
OTOH, if you're in OK and drive to TX with your shooter, then it's no more of a legal entanglement than selling a belt or sweater. OK doesn't know you have it and TX doesn't wanna know. But that's between two guys. FFL transfers are the same everywhere.

Long guns can be transferred in either State.
Handguns must be transferred in the buyers State.
Are long guns registered there in MD? My guess is yes, but I dunno. If so, you will have to account for that registration to the state and "I sold it" ain't gonna cut it, probably.
And if you wanna sell it to someone in, say, MA, you got a LOAD of paperwork to do - and with paperwork always come fees.
So there's no right answer to your question without a lot more info.

The transfer can be done in either State.

Only if both live in the same State. Long guns only.
Untrue. Perhaps in your state, not in all.

Federal law regulates interstate transfers, not intrastate.
So we agree? or not? Regardless, los Federales need not be involved.

Long guns can be transferred in either State.
Handguns must be transferred in the buyers State.
Untrue. perhaps in your state; not in every state.

The transfer can be done in either State.
Depends upon the state and often upon the municipality.
NYC, for instance has its own world of laws.

Don't post what you don't know.

Untrue. Perhaps in your state, not in all.

So we agree? or not? Regardless, los Federales need not be involved.

Untrue. perhaps in your state; not in every state.

Depends upon the state and often upon the municipality.
NYC, for instance has its own world of laws.

Don't post what you don't know.
I am referring to Fed laws, not States laws, get it right.

Back