What are these pins that are holding this name plate on?

Gorf

Registered
Registered
Just as the title says. There are several name plates and info plates on my lathe that I want to remove in prep for painting and finishing. What are these pins? Can I just pry them out? And if so, how do I replace them?

*Edit - how the hell am I suppose to attach images if the site just marks the **** as spam??? So just imagine the pins in your head I guess.

How about a direct link?

Last edited:
Rivets! Ethier drill them out or use a cold chisel to cut the heads off then push through.

Actually they aren't rivets and I forgot to mention that. They don't go all the way through.

We call them mushroomed press pins (don't know the actual name) and from what i was taught its consider a type of rivet although that may not be what they actually are, just how i was schooled.Screenshot_20190929-020925_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. Ok I'm seeing some stuff on Google about them. Since it isn't a through hole, do you just drill them out?

Yes drilling is probably gonna be best option but if you are lucky sometimes if you can catch the head just right you can get under them and pry them out however be very careful if you choose to go this route or you could risk cracking fragile cast iron if you force it.

Google "mushroom head rivets" or "solid Rivets", that should get you what you need.

Last edited:
They are 'Drive Screws' or that is what I know them as, they have a helical threaded shank. Most are RH . A pair of nail pullers pliers with a notch in the blades to grip the head are useful. use an old wood chisel with a shallow grind or bit of hacksaw blade ground on one side to lift the plate by getting between plate and case then switch to the pliers as soon as there is movement and wind out. Here is a link if you need any. https://www.hansonrivet.com/rivets/drive-screws/

Last edited:
Drilling them is your best option if you don't want to damage the name plates. If you aren't concerned with the nameplates a pair of flush cutting dikes usually work well, squeeze enough to get the edges under the head then pry up.
McMaster also carries them: https://www.mcmaster.com/drive-screws

Since these fasteners are pressed in, one may usually pry them out. I carefully use a sharp wood chisel for this.

Back