What are these..........some kind of expansion collet thingamajig???

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
I got these with a batch of tools,but can not quite figure them out.
20191016_112620.jpg

20191016_112851.jpg
It looks like some kind of expansion collet set with looks like a MT2 Arbor of sorts that can fit into it and expand when you push in the arbor,but I can't figure out how to work it. Any ideas?? Looks a bit older technology, but if I know how to use it,it could be useful.

Thanks for viewing.
Michael

It is a expanding arbor; you just drive the tapered arbor in with a soft hammer or an arbor press; indeed, they could be useful.

Will the bushing stay in place and do you clamp down on that small section, wich isn't very big I must add,in your chuck jaw?

Yes, they have good driving power and there is enough friction for the sleeve to stay in place if the cuts are not too heavy; generally they would be used between centers and be driven by a lathe dog.

Great. I think I have a good find here. I usually made my own expansion collets,but these would make this easier. Thanks for your information.

Those look like high-precision versions of exhaust tubing expanders. Like what you would use to make a slip-fit bell on a piece of very thin pipe.

They're called mandrels. Typically used for turning / cutting gears on the lathe and mill.

Back