[Newbie] What are these?

Boojie

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired a Shopsmith woodworking tool and these two items pictured (numbered 1& 2 in the photos)were in with all the goodies. One to me looks like a burr for either metal or wood I’m not sure which. The second is some sort of tapered cutter. Nobody in the Shopsmith forum seems to know what they are. Has anybody seen these before?

Are they for metal or wood? Thanks in advance as always.
a596c7a9e62a768b69b01d16f71e6999.jpg

2a68f997f2fac7f4426ba1120f6921a9.jpg

1. Rotary file. The big teeth say wood.
2. Taper reamer for tenons. Wood.
3. Crosscut miter. Needs a couple other pieces to work on the table.
4. Clamping handle for who knows where.
5. Offset bushing. Not sure where for.

#1 might be meant for hollowing out hard boiled eggs :)

Annddd,... my two cents worth. Make that a dime; inflation, you know.

Item Nr 1 looks like a "rotary rasp" such as what's available for a die grinder. It looks as though the shaft has been cut back. I would highly recommend you scrap it and replace with one with a full length shaft. It looks like it could easily come loose from the collet. At 5000-10000 RPM... ...

Item Nr 2 strikes me just the opposite of MontanaLon's response. Just going on appearance, with no idea of the actual size, the first thought I had was a fitting to adapt a brace chuck to a socket square drive. That's just an opinion, remember.

Item Nr 3 is the graduated miter gauge for a heavy duty saw or router table. I need to make one for an antique wood shaper, so if it's ever headed for the trash can, stick my address on it. I'll pay the postage.

Item Nr 4 is a handle for something that may or may not be part of the buy. On Wifes machine, the handle fits the "slider" where the "head stock" locks down on the "ways". An adjustment to fit an accessory like a table saw or a band saw. Or even the "tail stock" lock down or tool rest adjustment. Definately a part of the machine.

Item Nr 5 is to fit into the "tail stock" for a MT-1 socket. It is adjustable for some nefarious purpose, I don't know why, but I'm sure Shop Smith does. I do know that my metal working stuff will fit it, like a MT-2 live center. Makes her stuff much steadier... ...

Bill Hudson​

Item Nr 1 looks like a "rotary rasp" such as what's available for a die grinder. It looks as though the shaft has been cut back. I would highly recommend you scrap it and replace with one with a full length shaft. It looks like it could easily come loose from the collet. At 5000-10000 RPM... ...

I presume it has a thread to go onto the thread of a wood lathe ? Although their isn't a photo of the bottom end of it.

other wise i'm not sure how you would hold it.

Stu

If you were to look at a "new" one, you would see the shaft on the bottom. In the photo, there isn't any shaft, hence my speculation. It might be internally threaded. OR, maybe gripped by a chuck. In either case, I personally wouldn't trust it. But, at an age of almost 70, I still have all 10 fingers because I am paranoid about "git by" tools for any craft. Your call on using it....

1. looks like a rotary rasp I had years ago, it had a threaded hole instead of a shaft.
2. looks like it might be a taper reamer for pipe fittings.

Annddd,... my two cents worth. Make that a dime; inflation, you know.

Item Nr 2 strikes me just the opposite of MontanaLon's response. Just going on appearance, with no idea of the actual size, the first thought I had was a fitting to adapt a brace chuck to a socket square drive. That's just an opinion, remember.

Item Nr 3 is the graduated miter gauge for a heavy duty saw or router table. I need to make one for an antique wood shaper, so if it's ever headed for the trash can, stick my address on it. I'll pay the postage.

Item Nr 4 is ...

Bill Hudson​

Hi Bill
I was only asking about 1 & 2. The others I have ID’d. Both 1 &. 2 are internally threaded.
The pictured miter gauge goes to my Shopsmith jointer. But I might have another miter gauge around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number 5 "looks" to be an offset bushing that will allow some adjustability in its dedicated configuration, whatever that may be! I say this based on experience I have with some aftermarket motorcycle suspension parts known as "Dog Bones" that have bushings very much like whats pictured that are used to adjust the suspension height. Depending on how you have them clocked and of course how the part is designed you can go from stock ride height to + or - a few inches in either direction. The mounting angle of this particular bolt/bushing interface has a much greater effect then you would think i.e. a little goes a long way!
On a shopsmith for instance i could see something of this nature being used on the idler pulley as a way to adjust/finetune belt fitting.

Hi Bill
I was only asking about 1 & 2. The others I have ID’d. Both 1 &. 2 are internally threaded.
The pictured miter gauge goes to my Shopsmith jointer. But I might have another miter gauge around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they fit the Shopsmith spindle?

Back