What are these?

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
In order to move an 8’ long cabinet I had to remove all the drawers.
This set of what look like EZ-Outs was in a mess of stuff.
They are a bit odd because the EZ-Out part screws up and down.
3b4e95d4dfa4a97e5a0892107896241d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he ^^^ said

Except that your set includes the type that uses the same end to drill and remove (three largest) as well. I've not used that type, however I've been very pleased with the double ended type. They work a treat on wallowed-out Phillips recesses.
They probably won't work in really tough cases like broken exhaust manifold bolts, but for machine screws and construction/deck screws (<1/4") they have never failed me.
There are cheap copy-cat versions of them around so beware. I think GraBit brand is the original (made in USA), but I'm sure they private label for other brands also.

Screw Extractor Video

Yup. Screw extractor. I have the Grabbit brand. Looks like the one in this picture. Works great for small phillips head screws.

Steve.20160611164018_79181.jpg
6c9283b8097c5b13b84c045c91844564.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Thanks all, I didn't know that these were a thing. Definitely useful!

Those there extractors are dynamite about half the time, and a brutal PITA the other half. They are convenient and easy to use compared to a drill and extractor combo, but that comes at a price. They tend to explode when you need them the most due to the hard and brittle alloy they use. But when they work, they usually go easily. The best price is free, if that counts for finding it behind your shelving!

I've never had much luck with that type of extractor. I prefer the square type.

@DavidR8 you didn’t watch many infomercials back in the day I guess.. lol. I probably saw that infomercial before I had a tv with a remote and was to lazy to get up and change the channel. Good on you for not waiting your time on garbage tv. I’ve never tried those specific ones but thing like that have never worked well for me and if they did there was probably an easier way to do it. After 25 years of fixing cars it seems like I’m the only guy around that can get a stuck/broken bolt out. Or for that matter install a helicoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back