What are these?

3strucking

Registered
Registered
I have two of the cutters pictured but I don’t know what they are called or used for. Any help would be great. A8E6897A-AC53-4841-94AB-3227EE7016AA.jpeg

They look like some kind of end mill, but the geometry would suggest maybe a wood bit or for other soft materials. The clearance angles look too steep for steel.

I believe they're back face cutters also known as back face spot cutters. They're generally used the make a true flat spot on a plate or casting where the head of a fastener (typically a bolt head) will contact the material. They are also used to counter bore holes for fitting socket head bolts either slightly below or even with the surface.

Piloted counterbores usually require the through hole to be bored between 1/64" NS 1/32" oversize for the pilot to fit. Those without a pilot can be used without drilling the hole oversize.

I have not tried them on anything yet. They came with a bunch of tooling I purchased a few years ago. Thanks for the help.

shell mills, they are of the mounted variety
there are shell mills that are usually large diameter that have a keyed bore for mounting to an arbor

The largest one is one inch OD. Is there a reason they have straight flutes vs spiral?

They are missing the point but they are spot weld saws.

They are missing the point but they are spot weld saws.

All the spot weld saws I've seen are like a small hole saw similar to this:

Those are quit old but here is a similar one

1588971772511.png

Back