What are you using for a stand for your RF-30??

TerryH

I have no clue what I'm doing...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
As I prepare to tackle making a new stand for my Enco 105/RF-30 I'm torn over materials, how to store the tooling, size and shape of the stand and specifically the height. The factory style stands seem very short. The stand that came with mine is 31" tall but seems like it could even be a bit taller. So the question becomes, what are you using for a stand? Love to see some pics to get my thought processes going.

As I prepare to tackle making a new stand for my Enco 105/RF-30 I'm torn over materials, how to store the tooling, size and shape of the stand and specifically the height. The factory style stands seem very short. The stand that came with mine is 31" tall but seems like it could even be a bit taller. So the question becomes, what are you using for a stand? Love to see some pics to get my thought processes going.

I'm using the factory stand with my RF-30. The factory stand has a door on the right side. I haven't done it but you could install a shelf to better utilize the space. Height hasn't been a problem but I'm not a tall person.

I have the same stand for mine. I also added a shelf on each side. The one on the left has holes in it to take R8 tooling - drill chucks, collet chucks, face mills, etc. The one on the right has a narrow raised lip around it to act as a tray for misc. tools.

I have one that the prev owner had built, has a plexiglass door with two shelves for storage the size is the same size as the bottom of the mill. Have been thinking of making a new one with some drawers for small tools etc, and slide out shelves, for things like the RT and heavy stuff. Have the clamp set hanging on one side and a table against the other.
Thinking 3/4 inch square tube for a frame that would make a good start. with angle iron for a top to bolt the mill on. But that is a project down a ways. Have a bunch of house repairs that have to take place this summer and fall.

I built mine , welding box channel uprights to angle iron top and bottom with casters and outriggers for leveling and ease of moving . I used a steel plate on top and made sliders for a drawer and mounts for the hold downs and tooling . I went 4" wider on the base unit length an width. For me I lowered mine seeing as I'll be using it from my wheelchair. I'd have looked into the new HF black rolling work table and use it . 1,000 lbs rated and nice too.

And we're off...

Formed a plan for the base. Will be doing something similar to my reloading bench build just on a smaller yet heavier duty scale. I made a slide in drawer unit for one end of the reloading bench so same sort of idea here.

4 drawers on the front on 18" full extension slides. The drawer sizes always seem to get tweaked during the build but these dimensions should be in the ball park. Double layers of 3/4" Baltic Birch ply for the top. Perhaps a formica surface or metal. Jury is still out on that.

Side panels will be 3/4" BB ply.

Picked up some 4x and 2x doug fir lumber. Squared 2 faces on the jointer and planed to finish dimension. 3 1/4 x 3 1/4 for the corners and 1 1/4 x 3 1/4 for the rails and braces. Will pick up some 3/4 BB tomorrow and get to building.

Could not have done it without the usual drafting helper. lol... Stupid cat.

Reloading bench I built earlier this year for reference...

Any Progress.. I need to build something for mine as well.

well that turned out pretty ffin sweet!! You woodworkers are awesome!!, but the real question is, How many fingers do you still have? :)

well that turned out pretty ffin sweet!! You woodworkers are awesome!!, but the real question is, How many fingers do you still have? :)

Thanks! I still have all ten.

Back