What atomizing gas to use for a diesel fired boiler light off?

mslisaj

Registered
Registered
I just purchased a completely hand built steam car that a recently deceased master machinist crafted together. He built many complete steam engines and boilers for other people but the majority of those boilers went in boats and were wood fired. My car's boiler is diesel fired and uses steam to atomize the diesel for burning. When the boiler has pressure steam is used to atomize the fuel. But when the boiler is cold I have used my shop air supply to provide the atomization until I have adequate steam pressure.
The problem arise when I take the car somewhere and there is no air supply to get it fired. The gentleman made a mount for a high pressure bottle and regulator but when I purchased the car these items were no where to be found. My question is what kind of high pressure "gas" could I use just for the atomization process? I was thinking about using nitrogen but because of it's inert nature it may put the fire out. In just conversations with other men it was mentioned to get a small bottle of compressed (atmospheric air) like that used by divers. This would be perfect but I don't have a dive shop in my area to inquire about this or refill the bottle. I've had folks recommend a portable compressor and other items but that takes the portability out of the car and the original builder had thought about this question and made provisions in the car to carry a high pressure "gas" bottle.
Any idea's gentlemen? Thoughts would also be appreciated. I'm brand new to your forum and thought this would be a good question to start off with.
Thank you for your help and thoughts here.

Lisa

Sounds lik a really interesting vehicle. Pictures! What about a 12v air pump with reservoir shoot it through a fine nozzle to atomized. Basically duplicate a kool mister.
Co2 cartridge from B.B. guns. I have large ones used for paintball about the size of a spray paint can.

First off, sorry, I violated the first rule of all forums - "Pictures". So here you go and now you can get an idea of what I'm working on.
Thanks for your response Cadillac and I appreciate your time to weigh in on my question. The 12v pump has been thought of but that requires a battery too and the little car as you see here is pretty basic. There really is no room for the battery, pump and reservoir on the car and while this car would be towed on a trailer to a function, I really need the ability to get it running again if I lost fire and steam pressure away from the support vehicle.
With all that said I have thought about the Co2 but like the nitrogen it will not support combustion. Now I do have a small bottle of nitrogen (5" X 12") that an oxygen regulator will fit on and I'm going to try that today just for grins and see what happens. The firebox is pretty open and there is a blower in the stack to pull air into the fire box and the nitrogen may image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

work. But I wanted to ask this question as I'm not the first one to face this issue.

Lisa,

How long does the car need to run before you can switch over to steam?? How much air volume do you need?? What is your atomizing air pressure, used during warm up?? Would it run off a pancake compressor?? If its a real short amount of time, a small air tank might work.

I service industrial boilers for a living, CO2 and Nitrogen will not support combustion and will/can cause flame stability issues.

You might want to check with your local welding supplier, thay may be able to supply high pressure AIR cylinders. I know I have seen large ones, I'm not sure about small ones. You may also want to check with your local fire or police department, they most likely have a dive rescue team that needs refills someplace. You may have problems getting tanks filled at a dive shop without a certification card.

That’s really cool stuff. I have the steam bug. I purchased one two years ago. German made horizontal one. I’ve been hoarding engine parts for a long time wanting to make my own but just haven’t had the time. And the knowledge yet.
I agree about the oxygen or air tank from weld center. Or maybe just use N.O.S. That will make her scream.

Lisa,

How long does the car need to run before you can switch over to steam?? How much air volume do you need?? What is your atomizing air pressure, used during warm up?? Would it run off a pancake compressor?? If its a real short amount of time, a small air tank might work.

I service industrial boilers for a living, CO2 and Nitrogen will not support combustion and will/can cause flame stability issues.

Great point's "Buffalo21", I have only fired it once on "shop air" and it took about 15 minutes to heat the water enough to have steam and then I switched it over to the steam atomization system. As far as volume I have no idea, but I figure I need to run a 10 pound flow through the atomizer for 15 minutes. I have a 3 CF nitrogen bottle and I have no idea how long a bottle that size would flow at 10 psi.
On your point about the nitrogen will not support the combustion, I realize that but It's just atomizing the diesel so it will burn. The firebox is drafted well and has a big opening in the bottom so I don't think I would get a build up of the inert gas. But I certainly realize what you're talking about. The sad thing is I have absolutely no notes, instructions or anything about this car. It all went to the grave with the gentleman that built it. But it appears he had a provision and place for a "bottle" and the line runs there so I am pursuing his original idea I believe.
As far as the compressor idea, sure the small "pancake" compressor would work but again "out in the field" you won't have access to electricty to run it. So I'm trying to come up with something small and portable. AIR would be the absolute ticket but again getting it pumped up at a dive shop or firehouse could be an issue.
The point to remember is the "gas" just breaks the diesel into very small droplets so it will burn easier and faster through atomization. The firebox is well drafted at the burner from outside air; with the fire creating a good draft pulling in "good AIR" I'm thinking it will burn. Another point is that steam is inert too. Steam is used for smothering on ships and other big boilers and that is what atomizes the fuel in a locomotive or this little car. But you make all great points.

I just picked up two bar sized CO2 bottles at a yard sale for $10. I believe they are rated for 1500 psi, and and are about 30"x 9" in diameter. These could be filled with atmospheric air, but you would still require a high pressure compressor to fill them. At a WAG, I would think this would be good for 5-10 start cycles. Very cool little vehicle. Mike

I just picked up two bar sized CO2 bottles at a yard sale for $10. I believe they are rated for 1500 psi, and and are about 30"x 9" in diameter. These could be filled with atmospheric air, but you would still require a high pressure compressor to fill them. At a WAG, I would think this would be good for 5-10 start cycles. Very cool little vehicle. Mike

Well Mike, the issue is getting it filled. A friend gave me the little Nitrogen bottle that I have now. Getting it filled with AIR is the challange. I can buy Nitrogen and it's cheap enough but the AIR would be perfect if I could find someone to fill it. Will go talk to my local welding supply house today. But this bottle I have is full and I'm going to try it today and see what happens. As I mentioned steam is inert too and this is what the boiler is designed to be fired on.

image.jpeg

Back