What Beginners Mill to Buy

Capt45

Former Member
I have a hankering and none of the skill to own a Mill. I'm also limited on budget (~$1700). Suggestions would be appreciated.

You came to the right place , we all love to spend " others " money ! :) What are your needs would be the first question .

For $1700 , you could buy a decent used knee mill or I'm guessing a new smaller mill . There are plenty of members who have and support the PM models . I'm sure they'll chime in soon .

You came to the right place , we all love to spend " others " money ! :) What are your needs would be the first question .

For $1700 , you could buy a decent used knee mill or I'm guessing a new smaller mill . There are plenty of members who have and support the PM models . I'm sure they'll chime in soon .
Totally a newb concerning a Mill, but I have a PM Lathe; a 1024 which is adequate for what I do. I’d like to be able to Mill simple stuff such as slots, flats and V’s. One of the first things would be to make some carriage stops, etc.

Hopefully some PM mill owners will be on soon , they can give you the info such as sizes and prices etc .

The small ones are not big enough, but you can go too big.:)
Get the biggest square column mill, well cared for used, or new you can fit.

Here ya go , something along these lines ?

Watch for a quality used machine, in excellent condition, with comprehensive tooling included.

Here ya go , something along these lines ?
That would already be mine if it was closer.

If someone would buy mine, I'd be shipping it.....
Get as much tooling, and metrology in any used machine deal. If you don't have it now, it will add up quickly. Do not fall for the quick, and cheap stuff in that department too, as you will more than likely have to buy it again. I found this site after my machines, your lucky, and have been following along, so you have an idea already. Good luck

If at all possible stay away from round column mills. I suffered with one for 25 years, before I got fed up and upgraded to a knee mill. A square column of a small knee mill will serve you much better.

Back