What bench/stand for a 10x18 metal lathe?

I can’t see that a 200 pound lathe needs anything very unique. A card table might be a bad idea, but about anything else should work.

Maybe this, but seems a bit lightweight
rvUmlg.jpg

Those are canadian dollars, equivalent to about 269 USD

I have that bench under my Shoptask 3 in 1. There is very little support under the top. I added extra bracing and what not where possible. In hindsight it is not very ridged with a 700lb machine on it I think partly because of its bolt together design. So my opinion its a poor choice.

I have my Grizzly G0602 lathe on a Harbor Freight tool box with casters. Stability is not an issue, at least not that I have noticed but the lathe is too high. I am 5'-10" and need to stand on a stool to adequately see what I am working on. I like the convenience of drawers but a new base is in order for me. It seems like the spindle centerline should be about elbow height. My tool box is 40" high and the lathe spindle is about 52" when on the box.

I have been using the lathe much more since I retired and high on my list is to make a new stand for the lathe. I do like having casters to move the lathe when needed, but I will incorporate some sort of retractable casters.

I don't know if you have Harbor Freight in Canada, but their US General tool boxes are sturdier than the Husky boxes. Of course they cost more too.

I have both, a top and bottom 27" Husky as well as a 26" and 44" US General. The Husky boxes are nice, but noticeably lighter built. I also like the US General boxes better for machine tools due to the drawer layout.

Agreed... 44" USG with leveling casters...

View attachment 310256
Which leveling casters did you use for the U.S. General cabinet? The caster mounting plates on this toolchest are larger than standard, and I haven't found a leveling caster that would mount directly on it. Did you have to fashion an adapter plate?

Which leveling casters did you use for the U.S. General cabinet? The caster mounting plates on this toolchest are larger than standard, and I haven't found a leveling caster that would mount directly on it. Did you have to fashion an adapter plate?
@twowhites I made custom mount plates from a 4" wide chunk of 1/4" steel. It's a little tricky as you need holes for the tool box and tapped holes for the casters. I'll see if I can get my phone down there and get a decent pic, but it's just takes some planning.

@twowhites I made custom mount plates from a 4" wide chunk of 1/4" steel. It's a little tricky as you need holes for the tool box and tapped holes for the casters. I'll see if I can get my phone down there and get a decent pic, but it's just takes some planning.
The photo would be greatly appreciated. Are you happy with the brand of leveling casters you used? There are a whole lot of choices out there and some of them get really pricey.

The photo would be greatly appreciated. Are you happy with the brand of leveling casters you used? There are a whole lot of choices out there and some of them get really pricey.
Here you go... not easy to get pix of them...

PXL_20210806_133313871.jpg

PXL_20210806_133258179.jpg

As you can see, I mounted the feet on the diagonal to clear the toolbox mounting bolts. I also stacked three washers on each bolt between the mount plate and the toolbox to add some clearance for the caster bolts to have full thread engagement into the mount plate.

I'm perfectly happy with the casters, they don't get much use in caster mode, and it's still a beast to roll when needed, but they are plenty sturdy for this application. Looking at all of the ones out there, I got the feeling that just like machines, most of them come from the same factory, and pricing is just marketing. YMMV.

Back