What bench/stand for a 10x18 metal lathe?

Here you go... not easy to get pix of them...

View attachment 374533

View attachment 374534

As you can see, I mounted the feet on the diagonal to clear the toolbox mounting bolts. I also stacked three washers on each bolt between the mount plate and the toolbox to add some clearance for the caster bolts to have full thread engagement into the mount plate.

I'm perfectly happy with the casters, they don't get much use in caster mode, and it's still a beast to roll when needed, but they are plenty sturdy for this application. Looking at all of the ones out there, I got the feeling that just like machines, most of them come from the same factory, and pricing is just marketing. YMMV.
The photos are excellent. Thank you and I appreciate the effort to take the shots. I would not have thought to mount the caster plates on the diagonal - very clever approach.

The photos are excellent. Thank you and I appreciate the effort to take the shots. I would not have thought to mount the caster plates on the diagonal - very clever approach.
It was pretty much a requirement as the holes in the toolbox overlap the caster holes just enough to render both useless. Necessity is the mother, you know?

I don't know if anyone will ever need this, but the attached photo shows the U.S. General 44" x 22" rolling cabinet caster plate dimensions.

Attachments

• U.S. General Caster Plate Dimensions .jpg
    U.S. General Caster Plate Dimensions .jpg
    116 KB · Views: 20
If you put it on wheels, wouldn't it flex when you move it, then you'd have to level the ways again?

I bought a used tool box on CL and built a wood table around them that is bolted to the floor and the wall. I used 4x4's for the legs and horizontal cross members and two layers of 3/4" plywood (screwed and glues together) and 16 Ga sheet metal for the top. I used MDF for the façade and painted everything to match the garage. Storage AND sturdiness!
DSC00744.JPG

Back