What brand of key way broaches?

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Going to be on the lookout for key way broaches. What brand to watch for, what ones to stay away from. Probably will be using a hydraulic press.....

the brand I have and have used is Dumont they are very good bill

Dumont is the “standard”, but expensive. I would like to hear experiences of users of import sets. The issue seems to be that if the broach isn’t supported properly with the bushing, or you get things off axis, the broach breaks. This sounds like a user and heat treat issue where cheaper is possibly more sensitive to doing it wrong. As with many tools, if you know what you are doing, you can make “less” work- and maybe we don’t need pro tools if you only have a few parts to make.

Reactions: Z2V
American made preferably if you want to buy once. Dumont is one that comes to mind. Bfd beat me too it.

I vote for Dumont too, that is always what I bought when I had my shop downtown, and bought for my home shop when I retired. There are other American made brands, any of them would be fine too, and maybe cheaper.
A hydraulic press is NOT a good choice for broaching; there is very little "feedback" as to the force being applied, and it is incredibly slow, a rack and pinion type arbor press is by far a much better choice.

Thank you, while the arbor press is ideal, my foot print is very limited. I'm starting to populate my outdoor overhang now, it is still under consideration.

Reactions: Z2V
Going to be on the lookout for key way broaches. What brand to watch for, what ones to stay away from. Probably will be using a hydraulic press.....

Mike , don't tell me you need broaches also ! :rolleyes: Dumont . I know where a nice set is and about 20 woodruff cutters as well . :grin:

I have at least 40 Dumont broaches, they are all sharp and work very nicely. I have an import set sized #00 (1/16", 3/32/ and 1/8" broaches) and have used it a couple of times on some CRS. Maybe just my set, but the 1/8" broach was a bear to get through the CRS. I used a 1/2-ton arbor press and was pulling pretty hard to get it through.

+1 about not using a hydraulic press if you have the option. I snapped a 1/2" square Dumont broach once using my hydraulic 12-ton press. The press frame shifted as I was broaching which side loaded the broach and it snapped. That being said, the 12-ton press is my only option and needs a table adjustment as is to complete the stroke. I'd guess some of my longer broaches are a foot long, so need a 1 foot stroke to push them through. That's a really big arbor press or CAREFULLY use the hydraulic press and do about 5" at a time, then move the table up.

Shop eBay for used Dumonts or Hassay Savage. You can buy an individual broach (used) for $30 or under. New 1/8" Dumonts are about $50. You can make the bushings as needed. Here are a few options on eBay including a pretty good deal on a mixed up set with a lot of broaches.

Bruce

Mixed set, pretty good deal
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BROACH-HOL...h=item4d862bea0f:g:tLoAAOSwMxJbxRHE:rk:4:pf:0

Two 1/8" broaches for $40
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dumont-Bro...h=item3f8be94d93:g:GpoAAOSwZB9aCbJG:rk:6:pf:0

Used Dumonts in various sizes for $30-$55
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-One-duMo...PaddedFlatRateEnvelope!48813!US!-1:rk:14:pf:0

Thank you Dave, I'll be in touch.
Mr Hansen, thank you for the links, I'm going to look at them now.

I have Hassay Savage and some Dumonts---do not use hyd press---for those of you that don't have an arbor press and only have a few to broach you can just use a brass or lead faced hammer to drive the broach --the main thing is to always keep your broach perfectly straight and take smaller cuts and adding spacers to get the needed depth---the press I made has a 30" rack so a nice smooth even pressure---Dave

Back