What brand of tools would you buy NOW if you were buying?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Sears is no longer what it was...
SK is in bankruptcy or sold and is no longer what it was...
Snap On is still made in USA but VERY expensive....

Black Hawk?
Proto?

If you were buying, say, a set of sockets to work on your machines with, and/or a set of 6 point box wrenches (I have a couple of the pre-bankruptcy SK sets), what brand would you buy?

Nelson

I want to get Made in USA, but which tools, other than Snap-On that you have to rob a bank to afford, still are?

I used to buy SK, but now I hear there are problems with the company, bankruptcy, purchased by another company, not honoring SK's guarantees, etc.

Is Snap-On the only game in town for USA tools these days?

Nelson

Matco
Cornwell
Williams

I'll think of others, but I still buy mostly SnapOn when I need something.

Nelson,
Most of my tools from when I was a mechanic in the mid 60's are Snap-on or Cornwell with very few old sears stuff. I do buy some cheap stuff to put in my truck for maybe small repair on the road. Mac and Colbolt tools seem good but do not own any. I go by looks and feel of tools. If the tool looks polished and shinny I do stay away since they will slip out of your oily hand and give you the ouch effect. It is hard to buy anything these days that are made in the USA. Just my $0.02 worth.
Paul

I don't know about their raw materials, but could be from anywhere. China is pretty big on steel making these days.

Factories of SnapOn are in Kenosha, WI, Mount Carmel, IL, Milwaukee, WI, and Johnson City, TN.

Home office is Kenosha.

author=DaveH link=topic=3075.msg21767#msg21767 date=1313090203
Please don't get me wrong, I'm also nationalistic, I think it is a good thing.

Your government along with mine and European ones and most from the Industrial nations supported the move to make everything in China.

DaveH

And loan the money from China to buy their stuff.Better start learning chinese

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not shy away from Proto tools these days. I picked up a couple of 3/4" drive impact sockets & extensions that have served me very well. They hold up just as good as Snap-On or Mac Tools. :D

Part, if not all, of Proto was bought out by Stanley Tool Works a few years ago. They aren't what they used to be, but are still pretty good industrial quality tools, and cost less than SnapOn. SnapOn is priced to service the automotive industry primarily (but not solely) and carry mechanics on a "truck account" that makes it easy to purchase their tools. It also keeps the truck rolling into the shop weekly to sell more tools.

I'll tell you what brand of tool I won't be buying anymore! Darex!

Anyone else have a "Drill Doctor" that is more than 5 years old? :evil: :mad: :evil: :mad:

Wiha, Bondhus, is really nice stuff. Kobalt and Husky from Lowes and Home Depot seem to work decently for what they cost. Gearwrench has been good to me also. Pratt Reade makes nice USA made screwdrivers. I got my set a the local True Value HW store.

Sears has become very dissapointing - especially their ratchets, gear wrenches and regular (non-pro) wrenches. I've had my sears ratchet replaced a number of times now.

I've had a number of el cheapo Pittsburgh tools from HF that I've had for MANY years and are still going strong.

SnapOn is too rich for my blood. SK is very good, but hard to find as of late (rumor has it they've been bought out).

The best ratchet I ever bought came from a display at the checkout counter at Tractor Supply! It's 1/4" drive on one side and 3/8" on the other. The ratchet action is like a SnapOn with very small ticks, no backlash to speak of, and has been indestructable so far - and it's gotten a lot of use. It's now my first grab off the pegboard when I need a ratchet. I'd cry like a child if I ever lost it!

This is very similar if not identical to mine. http://www.menintools.com/ti11057.html

Anyone remember PennCraft? When JC Penney had tools?

John

Back